IGNORED

What car is this?

Mr Camouflage

The trouble with ugly datsuns is that they tend to get so ugly that they become cool/cute. The S10 I think is lovely because it's just so weird - love the furutistic tail lights and what appears to be an early attempt at "Bangle" styling!! LOL The 710 is cute, but the wagon I guess is a bit drab. The F10 is awesome because of its whackiness. And racing pedigree.

For me - and sorry Stephen - the 200B has got to be up there from the cars I can think of off the top of my head. The Coupe gets off easily because it's "cool" though!

How on earth could a 240k ever be deemed 'ugly' - its dripping with style! A 120y, however....its become a cult car because of its ugliness. I think for many (uninformed) people the 120y epitomises datsun.

The MG Midget had rounded wheel arches in 1972. My car was actually a '69 Sprite with the fenders cut out. Much easier to make tire clearance that way. My Spridget was RHD also, which I loved.

The conversations about Datsun design in the later '70s has me thinking about these styling prototypes from 1966 and the Nissan 270X concept car.

post-4148-14150796871713_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150796871816_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150796872019_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150796872148_thumb.jpg

I think for many (uninformed) people the 120y epitomises datsun.

Even to the "informed". And there's no dishonor in that. A tough, reliable, inexpensive yet high quality car that supplied years of almost trouble free service, with a high quality driving experience. Doesn't that sum up the 120Y (74~77 B210) and for that matter Nissan cars in general?

How on earth could a 240k ever be deemed 'ugly'?

Well back in the late 80's early 90's Japanese cars got lower looking (from a side profile point of view) and smoother/rounder and the 240K when compared to new cars styling trends, with its big slabs of side sheet metal with the sharp line down the side was very out of style.

Even when it was released the (aussie) motoring press gave it a hammering for being ugly. I remember reading an article that said it looked like 2 people designed the car. one did the front and the other did the back, and that the front and the back didnt match.

Now cars seem to be getting taller again, and sharp lines are making a comeback. It just car fashion. It comes and goes in cycles just like everything else.

Ugly or not? Datsun 126X & 216X:

post-1278-1415079687284_thumb.jpg

post-1278-14150796873027_thumb.jpg

Bah! Aussie motoring press...Ive always been of the opinion that the c110, in both coupe and sedan forms, is muscular and well proportioned. Maybe im crazy but i cant really see where theyre coming from...Beauty is most definitely in the eye of the beholder.