IGNORED

Worlds Fastest Indian

MikeZcar

Went to see this movie last night with the misses. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. Only bringing it up because it looks as if this movie is only going to have a limited release and not a giant advertising budget. If you've ever had a "dream" you should see this movie. Mike

Put me on the list to join you, I'll meet you there if only to act as pit crew member. I am 50 and need to get back on the list of "things to do and see" before the hour glass emptys. It's down to a much shorter list then when I was younger, lots of it has been done (mainly on a beer budget) but been there. Kentucky Derby, starting line with Kenny Bernstein, Mardi Gras, Daytona, Sturgis, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon , etc I am still willing to sleep in my car "to be there", that's the poor boy way. May be wrong but I think I am only going to get one go around on this planet, trying to make it a good one.

The internet promos are awesome.http://www.worldsfastestindian.com/ Can't wait to see it on the big screen. I'm gonna go salt flat racing one day!!:rolleyes:

Jim.

Being a Kiwi - and self-confessed bike nut I have seen it (some month's ago now, got released here a while back). Also we recently had a doc'o on the TV about the movie and the man himself. I hope this is going to part of the DVD edition went it is released as I would purchase the DVD just for the doc'o. The doc'o has some of the footage from one of the visit Burt made to the salt-flats.

You can see a trailer on http://www.worldsfastestindian.com/

A good book on the man One Good Run: The Legend of Burt Munro

And the cool thing about what Burt did = Burt Munro's 1967 world record remains unbroken.

Records

* In 1962 he set world record of 178.97 mph (288 km/h) with his engine bored out to 51 cu.in. (850cc).

* In 1963 a connecting rod broke while he was traveling at an estimated 195 mph (313 km/h).

* In 1966 his engine was displacing 56 cu.in. (920cc), but Burt was unhappy with some loss in top speed, and completely rebuilt it again.

* In 1967 his engine was bored out to 58 cu.in. (950cc) and he set a class record of 183.58 mph (295.44 km/h). To qualify he made a one-way run of 190.07 mph (305.89 km/h), the fastest ever officially recorded speed on an Indian.

From a popular New Zealand Motorcycle magazine Burt is quoted as saying:- "At the Salt in 1967 we were going like a bomb. Then she got the wobbles just over half way through the run. To slow her down I sat up. The wind tore my goggles off and the blast forced my eyeballs back into my head - couldn't see a thing. We were so far off the black line that we missed a steel marker stake by inches. I put her down - a few scratches all round but nothing much else". At the time Burt was traveling at close to 206 mph (331 km/h).

The film about his accomplishments was made in 2005 called The World's Fastest Indian starring Anthony Hopkins and directed by Roger Donaldson.