IGNORED

Auto to Manual Conversion Guide

Alfadog

This just in - the metal frame that holds the outer gearboot in place is NOT the same in early and late-model cars. The later ones must have a slightly wider console or something. Lucky I checked before I got a new gear boot made up!! I am now searching for the frame for an early car. Sure I could fabricate something, but I'd rather have the real thing.

Picture shows what I'm talking about.

post-1243-14150796704604_thumb.jpg

All you need is one of Alan's S20's ;) Of course, then you'd probably need a different box anyway!

Just wanted to add this information for reference. The GT-R was fitted with FS5C71B transmission with the following ratios:

FS5C71B
1st 2.906
2nd 1.902
3rd 1.308
4th 1.000
5th 0.864
Rev 3.382

It was fitted with the R192 diff with a ratio of 1:4.444 (This is so high - could be an option part?)

Another point to remember when gearbox swap - make sure you account for all four of the small bush-looking things that go inside the hole of the pedals to space them out a bit so they are sturdy on the fulcrum shaft. These little things are NLA from Nissan and quite fragile! Without them, pedal will be wobbly.

• 1 month later...

Not over till the fat lady sings, with centre console installed.

Here's the latest - a NOS inner rubber boot from Japan! Could not find one even 2nd hand in Australia so with my good friend Miles' (sakijo) help we organised this! Fits perfectly, looks great and now it's a LOT quieter inside!

Thanks Miles :laugh:

post-1243-14150796964872_thumb.jpg

Yeah it's nice, fits nicely in the palm of your hand. About 2" in size. :)

It's the exact same shape as the original knobs, but in metal. Now I just have to source a outer gearboot. Will just try to get one made up at a local auto trimmers, otherwise back to Yahoo Japan I go!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mat, yeah the hydrolic line came out of the parts car too. We replaced the master and slave cylinders though - not sure if I mentioned that. The line was simple enough (easy for me to say, Peter was the one who hooked it up!). I'm not sure if you can get these new or not, but the one we had was fine.

For info, you can source a gearbox with the same ratios as the GT-R from a 260Z and get a bigger clutch from a 260Z 2+2.

btw, first gear is actually 2.905 (yeah I know, picky picky!)

If a C110 is 4 or 5 speed manual it should have a 3.90 R180 as should an early '73 auto. Later autos got the 3.54 R180.

I've just pulled another 3.90 from an auto!