IGNORED

How fast does your Zed go???????????

zorro

I just bought a 73 240Z with the L24 and original 5 speed. I would be interested to hear who has modified there 240 how fast it can go and what speeds it is safe at. Thanks guys......;)

I took my old '71 240z up to 130 at one time. I'll never do that again, but, it was all over the road and totally unstable. The transmission really makes the engine whine up to 5-6,000rpm at that speed.

100 or 110 is probably the safest max speed for that kind of car.

i had my 72 somewhat modified and well enogh to hold its own up to just above 120. the car still felt ok but i could feel the begining of the wash out on the front end.

it was starting to get really light and control was starting to leave my hands.

I've modified my 73 just a little. And I've replaced most of the old rubber underneath. I've had mine up to 135 for about 30 seconds (more than once). Felt real smooth. A little scary though.:tapemouth

if your gonna want your car to stay relatively planted on the road...your gonna want to get a front skirt on it. And btw, that is not the original 5-speed in your car. The 240z only came with a 4-speed (the 5-speed wasnt out till the 280z i believe) unless its a fairlady.

My old Z had a front skirt and the eibach springs I think i pulled off 115 once for under a minute and if felt very solid....just scary as hell!!! :eek:

My 72 ITS car would do 115mph at 7000 with a stock 4 speed and a 4.11 rear end down the straight at Gateway into turn 1.

gir.jpg

This is a fun corner because as you come off the oval onto the road course there is a transition from a 4 degree bank. You have to stay on the gas until after the bump and then get on the brakes hard to slow down for turn 2. If you let off over the bump, the rear gets light and unsettled and can easily come around... many cars have ended up in the wall.

Anyway, in theory, with a 3.36 rear you should be able to hit 142.5mph (doubtful) but I think it would take a much longer straightaway, good front ground effects and some titanium cajones.

Howdy,

Every car and ever situation is different. Due to condition of suspension parts, driveline, tires, road conditions, and even the weather. I have driven Z cars that are scary over 70MPH and I have pushed mine to almost 6K RPM in 5th. I wouldn't trust your speedo to be very accurate past 100MPH. If you really want to know how fast you are going you can calculate your speed using your gear ratios, tire diameter and RPM. Bottom line is if you plan on going fast make sure you are paying attention and your car is safe!

It is possible there was a 5-speed available for Euro and AU markets but don't know for sure. It is an easy swap so after 30 years there is a good chance it is not original. I agree with the statement that you will want an airdam or something to keep the front end down. I noticed the difference in the front steering at speeds close to the legal limit.

Have fun!

Regarding the AU market 5-speed, do you know if it has a yoke bolted to the output shaft instead of like the US market cars with male splines to go with a female driveshaft? Someone her says the have a early 5-speed that matches this description! Anyone heard of it?

Sorry to get off topic, here is another on topic. How fast a Z can go is only a mater of time and money! It also helps to have someone behind the wheel that knows what they are doing! :)

Royce,

According to the literature I have, on cars fitted with either a four speed manual gearbox or automatic transmission, there is a sliding sleeve at the front end of the prop shaft which engages with the splines of the transmission unit output shaft. On cars fitted with a five speed manual gearbox the sliding sleeve is still present but it is an integral part of the prop shaft which connects to the box via a universal joint.

I'll crawl under my '71 later and check it out for you.

Sorry for veering off topic.