IGNORED

Door panel plastic retainers

LanceM

The purpose of those little cups is to seal the holes in the door needed for the panel clips.

When I worked at the body shop, I recall that we had access to the clips in use on Mack and other trucks for their door panels. Those clips had the same basic configuration as the Z's, EXCEPT that they had a dab of grey "dum-dum" (to use W. Humble's term). That dum-dum seals the holes in the truck doors.

When I did my car, and recently when we worked on Beandip's, we had access to the clips and caps (although they were old), but I think if someone can find those clips with the chunk of dum-dum on them they should work.

I wouldn't recommend using the dum-dum clips if you plan on removing your door panels more than every once in a great while.

FWIW

Enrique

Lance

I purchased a bag of ten of those cups maybe 8 months ago from Nissan. I believe the part number is 80929 - 32200. They probably also have the clips that slip into those cups. The part Number for the clips is 80919 - 22500. I don't know what I would do without my club parts CD. Good luck.

Dan

Don't know if you found what you need but their are couple "Buy-It-Now" Auctions for clips and retainers on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-510-240-Z-280-Z-DOOR-PANEL-CUPS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34204QQitemZ4584151200QQrdZ1

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-510-240-Z-280-Z-ROADSTER-DOOR-PANEL-CLIPS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34204QQitemZ4584151210QQrdZ1

No experience or connection with this seller. Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I was seruiously thinking of replacing a few of the metal clips with some large rivets with the screw insert (like a molly bolt). The head is about 3cm in diameter, so I think it would work well on the lower corners/edge of the door panel, and maybe other places. Every time I get out I hook my toe on the lower front corner, and it gets loose.

thx

Tomo:

What you are looking for are Dress Washers. Typically you use a Countersink head sheet metal screw with them but you end up with a smooth finish. You can usually find the dress washers in most places that sell specialty hardware (Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace) or you can also find them at Auto Paint stores that carry the interior finish pieces.

E