IGNORED

A Theory - RHD HS30 Model Standard Exterior Rear View Mirror Fitment

240 in OZ

Interesting topic,my Z came with the California style black mirrors that I am not a fan, replaced them with the small chrome bullet , they look period correct but are a little impractical,I came across a set of new replacement mirrors for mid 80's Mini Cooper, they look very similar to the ones used on UK Z's. Having both side mirrors IMO complete the sexy lines :cool:

Edited by 72 OJ

In the UK, certainly later 240Z and 260Z cars did not come from the factory with mirrors installed. The mirrors were fitted in the UK either by the importer or dealer. The mirrors used were branded "Pardat", but were manufactured by "Autosafe" for Datsun. Pardat branded items were sold in Datsun dealers and included aluminium wheels and other accessories.

The "handed" door mirrors were universal fitting and were generally used across the Datsun cars range throughout the 1970's. You can see from the photographs that each mirror was provided with three interchangeable bases, which were marked ""FLAT" "CONVEX" or "CONCAVE". All the installer needed to do was to select the appropriate base to suit the contours of the door, hence their universal use.

Jeremy.

post-18775-14150818962053_thumb.jpg

post-18775-14150818962753_thumb.jpg

post-18775-14150818963339_thumb.jpg

post-18775-14150818963918_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
HLS30... I know this is an old thread, but there were replies this year (2012) so I don't seem the harm in this necropost... did you ever find or make a solution to the matching stock passenger door mirror (US market) ?

I did make up a male plug for the stalk-I still have it, but Dean(a roadster guy I talked with about the idea) beat me to production-he has them made, with flat glass-I still have all my parts and pieces, including the convex glass I cut for the flag-to my way of thinking, the convex glass makes the ps mirror more than essentially a cosmetic part.

The issue is crimping the stainless back over the glass to hold it in-there is a reason most convex aftermarket mirrors bed the glass in plastic and then crimp the plastic, but doing that in this instance ruins the cosmetics of the assembly-I'll figure it out for my own car-I am just not there yet-as life is currently dominating my days!

Will

PS I have thought of recreating a full pair in aluminum-and finishing it appropriately-that would allow me to crimp as necessary with no damage to the glass, and could be done so as to be the "color" of stainless.

Bottomline, US 240Z's never came with a right-hand side mirror, because they were not required by NHTSA. Cars came with what was required, and nothing more. Just like all the exterior lights were added to meet the minimum safety requirements of the particular country.

I did make up a male plug for the stalk-I still have it, but Dean(a roadster guy I talked with about the idea) beat me to production-he has them made, with flat glass-I still have all my parts and pieces, including the convex glass I cut for the flag-to my way of thinking, the convex glass makes the ps mirror more than essentially a cosmetic part.

The issue is crimping the stainless back over the glass to hold it in-there is a reason most convex aftermarket mirrors bed the glass in plastic and then crimp the plastic, but doing that in this instance ruins the cosmetics of the assembly-I'll figure it out for my own car-I am just not there yet-as life is currently dominating my days!

Will

PS I have thought of recreating a full pair in aluminum-and finishing it appropriately-that would allow me to crimp as necessary with no damage to the glass, and could be done so as to be the "color" of stainless.

Thanks for the info and good luck with your efforts. Maybe it's just a close tolerance feat of engineering to get it where you can pop the glass into the opening [built with and ever so subtle lip] so it can't come back out (?). I can't see how you would ever get the crimping approach to look smooth.

Edited by BenJammin