IGNORED

A Theory - RHD HS30 Model Standard Exterior Rear View Mirror Fitment

240 in OZ

Hello All

This is either going to sink or swim, but I thought that Id throw it out there as a topic of interest regardless.

There seems to be a great deal of confusion when it comes to the RHD HS30 model and what specification rear view mirrors were fitted as standard equipment from the factory. Please note here Im referring to the HS30 model rather than the Japanese home market S30 model.

Initially I was confused, and thought that they were just applied at the factory in a haphazard fashion, but have been thinking about it and believe I may have come up with a fitment pattern, and wanted to back this theory up with posted results.

I am of the belief that from the factory the HS30 cars were initially equipped with either:

No externally mounted rear view mirrors on either side, any position.

Front fender/wing mounted rear view mirrors in the original USA chrome type specification, located both sides left and right.

Front fender/wing mounted rear view mirrors in the Japanese specification black bullet type, located both sides left and right.

Standard USA type chrome mirror fitted on drivers (right) hand side door only.

Im also of the belief now that the fitment the car got was based on when it was made, and it basically follows the order as listed above.

The early cars seem to either have no mirrors or the chrome mirrors mounted up front on both fenders/wings. We know the earliest car into Australia, HS30-0004 got the pair of chrome mirrors up front. Ive also seen two other early cars with this configuration, one was in an early advertisment for the 240z (green car) and the other was on the cover of the magazine "Sports Car Road Tests" issue 8 (green car with tan vinyl roof). We know HS30-0016, which is in the UK, came with no external rearview mirrors what so ever.

By early here Im talking about the 70/early 71 cars with the vented rear hatch etc.

For the series 2 cars (71 with the revised vents etc) I believe these got the front fender mounted Jap spec mirrors, both sides, black in colour. I have seen a car recently dated 07/71 which had these mirrors installed on it as known standard. I also saw a car a few years ago dated 09/71 with these mirrors installed as known standard. My car has been dated as 09/71 and, while it currently has a single door mounted Jap spec mirror on the drivers side, I believe that it came as standard from the factory with the pair of Jap mirrors up front and one has been moved to the door and the other deleted at some stage in its past.

For the 72 model year HS30 cars (revised centre console and B type transmission) I believe these got the single door fitted chrome mirror on the drivers side, same as USA spec (different side though).

I believe the 73 model year HS30 cars got this same specification.

I also believe that this specification then carried through to the 260z models, right through to 77.

Are people interested to test this theory of mine out? If so, please post the (believed, if know) date on manufacture, the original L24 engine number, the chassis HS30 number along with what mirrors were fitted as standard equipment for your car (if known). Also if you know of other cars around please post their details as known.

I hope this is interesting to atleast a few out there. Thanks for reading.

Joseph Gauci

This is interesting to me. Although I have never seen or heard of a US market HLS30 Z getting the home market fender mounted mirrors from the factory, I have seen pictures of AUS export HS30 cars with the Japanese spec Fender mounted mirrors as you have stated above.

It is interesting because the mirrors that I have seen fitted on UK cars are usually different than all other export models. They are chrome, more thick, and boxier than the US-market mirrors. Why was this not the case for other RHD countries? Or was it? Is this the other mirror designation you were talking about? I wish I could add to this discussion, but for now I will have to sit back and watch. Thanks for the insight. I am interested to read more.

-Ben

My old Z, HS30-001031, had some Falcon XB or some other kind of non-standard mirrors when I got it. Doesn't help much I know, however, upon inspecting underneath the front fenders I noticed evidence of a hole either side, in the same position as where mirrors would be. I personally conclude that that car PROBABLY once had fender mirrors.

I also remember inspecting a green coloured 240Z (early - "series 1" if you will) that had fender mirrors. I can't remember what kind they were (this was in 2001), but I do remember it was an early car and very very original.

I like your theory, let's hope we can put more evidence to it!

OK More info. Here is a picture of a 240Z from a road test in the May 1971 edition of Sports Car World. It has the chrome type fender mirrors. Also note that this car is a "series 1" early car, as it has the vented hatch and "D" hubcaps. Sorry about the poor scan - but it does the job.

Next up is a picture of another early "series 1" 240Z, from the April 1971 edition of Modern Motor. This one is red, and has the chrome type fender-mounted mirrors.

Now, from January 1973 Sports Car World. The orange car that featured on the front cover. This has the revised quarter vents and mag wheels. It is not a 1973 model though. You can clearly see on the interior shot there is a hand throttle, and no drilled-out holes in the steering wheel. This is an early car, but not as early as the "series 1" cars I mentioned previously.

Next up, November 1973 Motor Manual. This is a later car, with the holes in the steering wheel, no hand throttle, "Z" style hubcaps and last but certainly not least, a single door mirror on the driver's door.

And just for good measure, here is a 2+2 260Z from September 1974 Modern Motor, with one single chrome door mirror, which looks the same style as the 240Z chrome mirror to me.

That's all for now!

post-1243-14150795805529_thumb.jpg

post-1243-14150795805741_thumb.jpg

post-1243-14150795805808_thumb.jpg

post-1243-14150795805898_thumb.jpg

post-1243-14150795806025_thumb.jpg

I'd be bold enough to suggest that the mirrors were actually mounted after arrivial in Oz.

JUst like the seat belts, which were either not there or replaced after arrivial [ADR's didn't recognise the JDM rules] This would suggest that in the climate of changing ADR's Nissan would be more inclined to import a bare bone model and add the components that were required to bring the model up to standard.

OK, looks like this is taking off nicely.

Lachlan, FYI, the picture of the second car which you posted is infact the car I refer to in my text, ie HS30-0004 which was the first car to reach this country. It is a early 70 model and it was the car used by motoring scribes at the time to complete the roadtests in. Note it retained its plates KNL-127 right through its life, Vic plates.

Notice the plates on the first car you posted, they also begin with a K and are Vic plates. I assume by this that this is also a very early car, probably also with a very low (sub 100 assumed) vin #.

Joseph

I also believe that the second last car you posted a pic of is a UK spec car, look at the front/rear spoliers and the license plate. This looks like the "chunky" chrome mirror which Ben refers to in his post above rather than the standard type chrome mirror as seen on the USA spec cars.

Joseph

Next up, November 1973 Motor Manual. This is a later car, with the holes in the steering wheel, no hand throttle, "Z" style hubcaps and last but certainly not least, a single door mirror on the driver's door.

That's all for now!

The second to the last photo is the one I'd like. If it follows the N.American pattern (except as a mirror image, pun intended) it would be angled to fit on the door just right for our passenger side.

I also believe that the second last car you posted a pic of is a UK spec car, look at the front/rear spoliers and the license plate. This looks like the "chunky" chrome mirror which Ben refers to in his post above rather than the standard type chrome mirror as seen on the USA spec cars.

Joseph

Nope thats not a UK spec front spolier at all. Its a BRE type spoiler that lots of aussie 240z's had. If you cant tell the difference theres a thread about the uk front spoiler, just have a search for it. And the number plate is a skinny aussie one.

Ok to mix it up a bit theres a 1973 240Z over here in Perth, original condition, never restored (Halz its your car i'm talking about your car) that has the thick chunkier door mirror that the some UK cars had.

Heres a pic.

17431_wasabi_may04.jpg

On later 240z (my 72) the mirrors were fitted in Japan, as there a punched holes in the metal of the door, not drilled, as they would have to be, if fitted in Australia.

Our drivers side-your passenger side.

Our Nissan lists have no part number for the other side. Period Nissan convention is for the left and right to have successive part numbers, both 96300-E4600 and 96302-E4600 come up as bad part numbers. I have been hunting for a true passenger side (over here in Yank land) mirror for quite a while, and posted for help several times:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17716&highlight=usa+members

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17707&highlight=pond

I have even written to Nissan for help as indicated by the last post of the first referenced thread.

In the mean time, I have even been working on my own.

I am now getting a convex mirror into the flag. The mirror is ready, putting it in the flag to look right is what is left.

After a little more shapeing, I will be sending the stalk out to be cast next week. When these are done, if they work out right, Victor Lawrey will be getting the second one.

I will be putting up a technical article when I get the stalk back and can actually mount a finished mirror on a door(hpefully less than 30 days-depending on casting time.

Will

post-4106-14150795808932_thumb.gif

post-4106-14150795809445_thumb.gif