IGNORED

Save S30-0002

Mr Camouflage

automobile factories build service parts bodies that are sold to insurance companies. these bodies are never complete vehicles, they may be missing door or a fender or several body panels, but they do have engines and VIN numbers. i know this because i worked for bmw and we used to see these bodies a lot. i have no idea what the insurance agent did with these vehicles though.

Hi Alan:

That's interesting. What type of public record in Japan gives that info?

72+950 = 1022

The production schedules show by Kats show a total of 969 domestic cars. Does this mean that the production schedules are incorrect or the public records?

thanks,

Carl B.

Carl,

The figures are from the 'Nihon Jidosha Kogyo Kai' in their 'Shadai ( Shatai ) Bango Ichi Ran Hyo'. I've mentioned the document on here before.

As for the discrepancy in quantities between this document and Nissan Shatai's own records, I've mentioned that before here too. The NJKK listing gives ranges of body serial numbers issued with licence plates per calendar year for each prefix ( Domestic only, of course ) but only partially takes account of gaps in serial number sequences. Watch out for the gaps.......

And I'd say that there's a good chance that both sets of figures will always be a bit rubbery, depending on what exactly was being counted, and why it was being counted ( especially when you take the matter of public Revenue into account..... ). Given everything else we know, everything else we don't know, and everything that we don't even know we don't know, I'm not all that surprised at small differences in numbers.

But anyway, you take my point don't you? Big headlines like "Earliest Production Z Car Discovered" don't seem to be taking stuff like this into account, do they?

Alan T.

Hi Alan:

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes - I take your point. I too was frustrated by that and a few other elements of "the story". It seems to always be so:stupid:

I guess my question had more to do with understanding the term "public record" in the context of its use in Japan. Our public records start, in each individual State when it comes to automobile titles and registrations of license plates. All of these "Public Records" used to be open to the public - and which are now closed due to Federal Privacy Laws passed some years ago.

FWIW,

Carl B.