IGNORED

explain this vin#

zhead240

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4560175092&category=6187

add says 70 but it has flat top carbs and later console. seems to have hatch vents( hard to tell) and early pillar emblems.any idea what the vin # means with the extra letters?

I looked at the car, my guess is someone replaced the earlier engine with the 1973 version, or for some reason just replaced the carbs with later "boat anchors." ROFL. Hard to tell, but it looks like a later dash as well as the console. Someone may be mixing and matching whatever parts were available. If it is a true 1970 Series I, then it is too old to be one of the transition cars between the Series I and II models. And that VIN number would make it a 1971, yes?

I looked at that car too-gotta love the hood ornament-at least when it is where it should be, and not on the hood!

Don't forget the 280Z steering wheel, horn button, vented hood, 2+2 seat belt retractors, missing door pillar data plate, wild dome light, taped tail light trim, rusty rear overriders, and a lack of pictures of any areas prone to rust or of the other two VIN locations. When was the last time you found true "low profile" tires to fit a 14x5.5 rim?

That said, it doesn't look too bad for a driver-but I would want confirmation of the Vin from the firewall before I considered it for anything else-It has too many parts from a later model car not to check that out. I would also wany pictures of the frame rails, Battery area, rockers and hatch and shelf(preferrably with the trim removed).

Will

I too saw this car this morning and even sent a question to the seller asking him to please explain to me the contradictions in his auction (incorrect VIN, listed as a 1970 but titled as a 1971...we know this one but I wanted to see what he would say and how he knows it's a 1970 with the missing door jamb data plate..., and also the flat top carbs). All the other things you guys have pointed out slipped by me...but then again I just took a very quick look and sent my questions.

No replies yet...

Did anyone else notice that the hood is the later vented one from a 280? And God only knows where those seats came from! This is a VERY curious mis-match of parts from who knows how many cars.

as well as the other things mentioned above , it has a dash cap and the front bumper is crooked. I agree about the car being of parts form many cars. I wouldent buy it unless I either saw pictures of the bare floor and rockers both from on top and under the car . Also the same for the battery area. That or a certified inspecton from a apraiser of classic cars. Or saw it my self in person.