IGNORED

nice car but way over priced

dat240z71

... I don't know why anyone would buy one of the dealer restored ones (for $30k), when they are basically not a clean title technically...I guess if you aren't someone like us on this forum and don't know a lot about Zs and you were rich you would buy one for $30k.

What do you mean by "basically not a clean title technically"??? I bought one of those "dealer restored ones", I paid 28K. I bought the car for an investment, to show and I just plain love the car. The value of my Z has increased by 6K since I purchased it and that's right from the insurance companys appraisal department (34K according to Hagerty). Hagerty used their valuation of my Vintage 1972 240Z to get a value on Scotts car which is TWICE the value of my 240Z.

Don't think these Z cars are worth much, think again. They aren't the little economizers of the 70's anymore, some of them are true classics worth alot more then some people what to believe.

Vicky

Valuations and reasoning: the most valuable 240Z's would be original race cars with history ala, Bob Sharp and BRE 240Z's; I would speculate values upwards of $100k. Followed by all original low mileage cars somewhere around $38k to 50k, followed by very good restorations (in the low to mid $30k range).Then Early serial number cars below 500, then 1970 240's, 71 /72 240's, then 73's.

The most valuable in World terms ( ie - not just the USA, and USA-market cars ) are already changing hands privately for prices above US$100K. It's just not necessarily happening in the USA, and it certainly isn't happening on eBay.

I think you'd have to say that any genuine ex-Works race car is going to command the highest sale price, and don't forget the rarer models when talking about the complete range of S30-series Z cars that were made ( not just 'HLS30-U' models...... ).

10) Remember in written form there is no way to read in the "tone" of a conversation.

Yes Ron,

I'll have to 'return serve' that one to you sometime.

Cheers,

Alan T.

Alan,

The scope of this conversation was based on a US car for sale and the value of the car in the USA. I do not doubt that the "works" cars are equal too or more for that matter.

Alan, feel free to volley any time you would like :)

The ball is in your court :)

Ok, back to the Ebay car in question..... The guy who has it on Ebay now says that the reserve price was a mistake..... this is what he wrote me:

"Thank you for your interest in our vehicle. The 1973 Datsun is available.

The listing is incorrect. A lot of generic information was left on the ad

such as power windows, and power ABS. It does not have any of those things.

Also the price is completely wrong. Its supposed to selling for $7,950 not

$24,900 - we dont know how this happened. I will make sure these issues are

taken care of. Thanks again for your email."

Ron Sandrock - Memorial 1 MotorCars (713)688-2277, "

So far the issues are not "taken cared of".... its still on there for $29.4K

Alan,

The scope of this conversation was based on a US car for sale and the value of the car in the USA.

Ron,

This was one of the comments on this thread that caught my eye:

...The best over 100# z in the world, you name whatever it is, could be the #1 resto in the world isn't going to cost over maybe 30,000 to PURCHASE...

I obviously misunderstood what "world" means to some of the people that inhabit the World.....

It's perplexing to see people happily talking down the value of these cars. To me, it seems like a weird form of inverted snobbery.

Writing in to clarify a couple of points. 26th-Z is NOT being acid dipped. I consider acid dipping destructive. I have no intention of letting 26th or 27th (restored) go for anything low like $30,000. Any car is only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it at any given time. Thank you.

Alan point taken...It is very easy for Americans to settle into a conversation and forget that there are our friends from Europe and Australia that pay close attention to this website, and these postings. It is a fault of ours that is not intended, Americans have this opinion that the world revolves arround us, and that is far from the truth.

I spent a few days in Italy and Germany last year and it was very interesting to see how Europeans view Americans and their politics.

As far as inverted snobbery...I have never understood why people think that way...these cars are classics! there were not very many made and few left on the road. We are the people who carry the torch for a piece of automotive history. Why claim that this car is less than what it is, one of the greatest sports cars ever.

26th- I agree such early cars properly restored are, in the mind of a serious collecter extremely valuable. Your cars are worth what you feel they are worth, because I doubt that they are going to be for sale any time soon.

Oh, and I second the motion, don't gold plate them....

Americans have this opinion that the world revolves arround us, and that is far from the truth.

Actually, I went outside after reading this post and after spinning around in a circle I was able to conclude empirically that the world was revolving around me... :ermm:

I don't want to argue with Ron, or Alan, or anyone else, but I haven't seen one documented US sale report in the $35K to $50K range for a "normal HLS30-U" (that is to say, excluding race cars, works rally cars, 432's, etc, whatever) which is the type of vehicle this thread is (or at least WAS) discussing. If someone HAS seen the kind of cars we were talking about go for those figures, that's fine. I'd be interested in seeing some documentation.

Some of us are firmly rooted in the reality of what we see, and experience as to values of any car (or other product). It isn't inverted snobbery to report what we see as the facts as we experience them, just because you or anyone else disagrees or see things differently. Some people "get off" on the idea of how much $$$ their car is worth, others "get off" on the fun and enjoyment of owning, working on, and driving their car. It's no surprise that the sale of a restoration vehicle seldom recovers the expense of the restoration unless the specific vehicle is special for some reason. It's quite common for many examples of many marques.

Also, I can understand someone valuing a car at a higher figure than it can fetch (currently) due to the blood, sweat, and dollars they have invested in the restoration, but as someone stated earlier, "a car is only 'worth' what someone is willing to pay for it at any given time."

A year or so ago there was someone on this site claiming that the value of his "Gold Medallion" winner should be compared to a sale reported on the Barratt-Jackson website that claimed a $75,000 sale price. For some weeks there was quite a bit of discussion over the reality of that valuation. A little exploration discovered the same VIN # car sold (2 years later by B-J) for less that $7K. Turns out there had been a typo in the original ($75K should have been listed as $7.5K) sale listing. So much for accuarcy of reporting even on the B-J site, but heck it was only a miissing decimal point. :rolleyes: