IGNORED

European Bumpers?

adamkosecki

Adam,

Of course you can put 240Z bumpers on a 280Z. Hell...people are putting V8 engines in these cars! It is going to take some work. The mounts change and you are going to have to adapt your body shell a bit. You will probably have issues with the front valance panels and the rear fenders do not have the indentations, do they? Do keep in mind that the 240Z style bumper is NOT going to protect the car from any sort of contact. Not only will the bumper fold up, but it will take your body shell with it because the ends bolt to the sheet metal. This situation may have insurance consequences. So I always comment to someone considering such a move that they should understand that hitting things with your car is against the rules.

Now, there is nothing "Euro" about the bumpers you are describing. This "Euro" term must be a crossover from the BMW and Porsche guys or something and I usually consider its meaning as "aftermarket" in these discussions. The solid chrome bumpers you describe are most likely replicas that have not been drilled for the rubber strips. I have a front one and it is identical to the authentic one - just no holes. Use chrome head carriage bolts to attach them to the brackets. I'll also add that the solid bumpers painted charcoal to match the grill and tail light valance is a real good look.

Have fun.

Do the european bumpers offer as little protection as the 240 bumperes do? Has anyone found a modification that offers protection and is less bulky than the 280 bumps?

also, i just moved from chicago to LA so my tool selection and work area is now minimal at best. welding is certainly not an option. i'm sure i could find someone to do it for me though...

For a little more protection, but not as much bulk as the 280z bumpers you could swap early 260z bumpers onto your car. They will be a lot easier to find and less pricey than the super smooth chrome 240z bumpers. Personally, I like the 240z bumpers with the rubber, but without the overriders.

Ben

Now, there is nothing "Euro" about the bumpers you are describing. This "Euro" term must be a crossover from the BMW and Porsche guys or something and I usually consider its meaning as "aftermarket" in these discussions. The solid chrome bumpers you describe are most likely replicas that have not been drilled for the rubber strips.

I was under the distinct impression that European models did indeed not come with the rubber strips and hence no holes for them. Unlike other "Euro" parts like taillights the bumpers without the holes drilled actually cost less from VB. I wasn't even aware that there were aftermarket bumpers.

I was under the distinct impression that European models did indeed not come with the rubber strips and hence no holes for them.

No Mike, all of the first-gen European market models did have the rubber bumper trim.

The smooth non-rubbered bumpers were first seen on the no frills base-level 'Fairlady Z' ( S30-S ) and lightweight 'Fairlady Z432-R' ( PS30-SB ) models at launch in October 1969.

I agree with 26th-Z's thoughts that this might be a crossover from the USA-speak surrounding marques such as Porsche and VW. Sometimes the "European" market spec parts were seen as 'cool' or at least different enough to be of interest.

Ironic that the "European" bumpers were not actually used on European models........