IGNORED

Finally - My Z Arrives

I've got some issues.

Under deceleration I notice quite a bit of whining coming from the rear. That typical sound you get while backing up in most M/T cars. Do ya'll think it's the Diff? I'm wanting to drain the Diff fluid, How do I fill it back up? Do I need to drop the whole rear end? I also need to replace the U joints on the drive shaft, the axles seem alright though.

I have a noise that seems to be coming from the left rear... pretty sure this is a worn out strut, when I make a left turn and the weight is unloaded from that side the noise goes away.

THIS COULD BE A UJOINT ON THE LEFT HALF SHAFT. MY Z DID THE SAME THING . DO THEM ALL AND BE DONE WITH IT . SINCE YOU ARE DOING THE DRIVE SHAFT.

She HATES to get cranked up when cold. After being driven shut off and then cranked back up shes fine. I plan on doing a complete tune-up in the next couple of weeks, but I feel this is a carb problem. I also need to adjust the choke, right now I have to pull it all the way back and hold it, other wise I'll be out there longer trying to get her started.

THIS IS THE WAY THESE ENGINES START . WITH THE CHOKE ALL THE WAY BACK UNTILL IT CATCHES AND THEN SLIDE IT FORWARD A LITTLE , AND THE ENGINE WARMS AND AS YOU GO DOWN THE STREET A FEW BLOCKS YOU MAY BE ABLE TO EASE IT FORWARD MORE . CONTINUE UNTIL THIS WAY IT NO LONGER STUMBLES WITH OUT THE CHOKE.

Door seals... Hatch seal... hood/cowl seal... I could keep going, maybe later.

But still, driving the Z is like nothing else on earth. Simple and Amazing! I love her! I grin from ear to ear just seeing it. And whether I want it or not she attracts plenty of attention.

Nate

THIS IS GREAT THAT YOU FOUND A GOOD Z , YOU ARE NOW INFECTED AND THERE IS NO CURE .CONGRATULATIONS GARY

Wa-Hoo! I did it! I have now rendered the Z un-drivable! I notice that the fuel filter bracket is barely being held on by one screw. The screw will not tighten either. I pull the screw and bracket out to realize that it is originally supposed to be held in by two fasteners not on and that the screw that was holding it was much larger than the other whole. hmmm, a crappy fix... let me go one better. So i pull out the pop rivet gun and voila! - shes fixed. Now with the hood still up I crank her up and get ready to go for a ride. When I go to shut the hood I notice a spark from the coil wire. Hmmm, I've got a coil wire in the tool shed that might fit, let me replace it. When I pull the coil wire off the distributer cap - I notice a BIG problem. The socket is filled with white corrosion, the metal part of the wire was stuck in the cap and coil wire socket of the cap has a quarter inch wide crack all the way down!

I found a company online while trying to find NGK wires called Auto Parts Giant and decided to give them a shot. I've got a BOSCH cap rotor points condensor and fuel filter on the way along with NGK wires and plugs all for $62. I'll let you know how it goes.

Nate

Here's a pic

post-2476-14150794815088_thumb.jpg

It that evidence of a little coolant leak where your radiator hose connects to the water neck?

Nice catch stephen! I didn't notice it until I loaded the pic on the computer, and then I ran right out to check it. There doesn't appear to be a leak right now, the flash from the camera really made the green color noticeable though because I can't tell outside. Notice the oilly residue. That doesn't appear to be coolant. It's pretty cold out right (32F) now so I'll probably look into it a bit more when it warms up again... maybe in a couple of days.

Nate

Nate: I don't know about Parts stores in the area where you live, but out here you can still get Distributor Cap, Rotors, Points, Condensors, and Thermo gaskets at almost any Checker/Shucks/Kragen, NAPA, or other quality parts store. I haven't looked for plug wires but I suspect they are still easy to get also. Occasionally (but not often) it takes at most 1 day for them to get the parts from their distribution center.

Most stores carry most parts out here still too. But only Advance and NAPA stock NGK plugs, no one carries NGK wires and no one carries Bosch caps rotors. Since the car is a toy I can wait a few days for parts and I really wanted these brands. We're limited to AutoZone, Advance, Pep Boys and Napa out here.

Nate

Same here Nate, Advance is the only store in Savannah that caries BPR6ESII. They are unbelieveable, there locked in stock position calls for 5 on the shelf, some moron with District Manager behind his name hasn't figured out that is a problem-even with emails and phone calls. So I have to order them as well...

Will

Out here they do carry at least 6 of the BP6ES plugs (I haven't had a problem getting a full set, yet).

There was a guy on eBay about 9 months ago who was selling the NGK Plug/Coil wires set with a "Buy It Now" price of $25. IIRC, the shipping charge was quite reasonable also (something like $4). He seemed to have many of them.

Nate,

Congratulations on your S30; I imagine that you will enjoy her for many years to come! If you need NGK plug wires and plugs give a call to Olympic Auto Parts based in Alexandria, Va. at 1-800-370-0041 and ask for Ralph Bull and he will hook you up with a cheap price and super quick shipping. Their website is:

http://www.forparts.com/