IGNORED

front speakers

280z

Nothing wrong with it. Mine broke, so I thought I would replace it with something that looks a little more like a manual stick. I even had the guy at the tire store fooled!

Now, I want to figure out how to adapt a manual shifter to the auto transmission.

:D

Proxlamus-

Here's a couple that might give you an idea of what I have. I cut the console off behind the switches on the front, and in front of the ashtray in the back. I might just leave the back part out totally, instead mounting a fire extinguisher.

I'd be interested in a smaller handle, but so far the Dodge/Chrysler one is the best. no mods to the lever were made, and I just added the shifter boot myself with a custom frame around the bottom.

post-2169-14150794673057_thumb.jpg

post-2169-14150794673414_thumb.jpg

post-2169-14150794673663_thumb.jpg

anyways i kinda solved my problem. i moved the 6x9's from the back of the car to between the strut towers and the seats. they are facing straight up in their boxes and they sound much better. actually they sound awesome! i can hear them great from both of my ears, if you mount them any other way it gets annoying because your right ear gets more than the other. i ordered 2 amps that will mount perfectly right behind my seats and i will order some more powerful speakers with a fuller range, maybe 6 1/2" speakers, and custom make the enclosures to fit snuggly. then maybe if i still have enough christmas $, i will order a 6" bazooka tube sub-woofer with the built in amp which also fits perfectly between the strut tower and rear panel on the drivers side. the best part of this project is that i dont have to cut or mess with anything in my car. it all stays original. and to think i almost cut my door panels!

Good job Mark. That's where I installed my speakers in my Z, and where I believe the best spot for them is. The neat thing about a Z is the cabin is so small. You don't need much in the way of speakers. One of the Z's I saw when shopping for one had two 15" subs sitting right behind the seats. :stupid:

• 2 months later...
Has anybody mounted 6x9's faqcing forward on the verticle rise of the front part of the luggage riser (rear deck?). I'm thinking of mounting a pair of Infinity Kappa's there along with a pair of 6.5" component (separate tweeter/mid) in the doors and a pair of 10" subs in a box at the rear end of the deck.

I've got an Alpine CD receiver 9825, and will be picking up a JBL 80.4 to run the whole system.

Can't wait till the spring!

FWIW, when I had my 260z (20 years ago), it's previous owner had cut out 6x9 holes in the bulkhead behind the seats and mounted some 6x9's in each of the two toolbox cabinets (speakers facing the bottom rear of the seat) The sound was marginal at best. I asked an audiophile I met for a suggestion and he offered that I could clip the mid and tweeter cones on the 6x9's, effectively making them woofers and leave them where they were (since low frequency is not direction critical). I then mounted some quality midrange speakers in the doors, and got two ribbon tweeters that mounted just at the corner of the windshield and roof pillar junctions. With some proper EQ and balance applied, the effect was pretty amazing and done cost effectively too (I was a student at the time , so no $$$). Would I do it again? Maybe, but this one already had the 6x9 holes cut. Not sure I would have the nads to do that today. ;)

Has anyone tried installing Miata seats with the speakers built into the headrests? I'm thinking about installing them in my 73 240Z, and I'm not sure how good the sound will be.

My daily driver is a Miata. It doesn't had the headrest speakers per se but I have heard them as well as read many reviews on the subject ( http://www.miata.net - THE Miata source on the net ). Anyway, the stock Miata headrest speakers are marginal at best. There are aftermarket replacement speakers though if you want to go that route. Check out the Miata.net site, there are some how-to examples of the retrofit. I had a very similar problem in my own Miata, little space and poor performance from the door speakers. The door cutout space is very limited in the Miata, so guys come up with some pretty inovative ideas. I had my own moment of inspiration. I didnt want to cut anything up, yet I wanted something loud enough that I could at least hear it when the top was down. Solution?

Found a pair of sealed indoor/outdoor box 3-way speakers (100watt), used some supergrip-velcro on the bottons to mount them onto the rear deck of the Miata. The velco keeps them solid in place, yet if I want to I can very quickly pull them out. The added benefit is that if I stop somewheere, I can very easily drop the top, grab the speakers and use them for outdoor tunes! Works like a charm. I'm planning a 240z purchase in the next few weeks and have already considered the idea for the Z.