IGNORED

Z Restoration Progam

26th-Z

The reason is that of documentation. You can look up what was on the car from the build sheet (which has the add-ons) or the manufacturer's brochure.

That way you won't have to depend on memory.

Does ANYONE have a "build sheet" for a Z Car? I have never seen , nor heard of anyone who did. It is my belief that they simply do not exist. Just because Chebby or Ford provided them doesn't mean that Nissan did.

IMO about all you can hope to refer to is the Monroney sticker

...."automobiles are the only consumer items required by law to carry manufacturer suggested retail price stickers. This sticker, also called a Monroney label, is attached to a window of the vehicle. It shows the base price of that model, including all standard equipment; manufacturer-installed options and their retail prices; transportation or freight charges (also known as destination or delivery charges); and the total manufacturer's suggested retail price. Details about the average fuel economy for the vehicle are required on all cars and light trucks; this information is usually included on the Monroney label, but will sometimes be found on a separate sticker, the EPA [Environmental Protection Agency] Fuel Economy Label. The Monroney label may not be removed by anyone other than the purchaser.

The legislation requiring the sticker is commonly known as the Monroney Law, named after its sponsor in Congress, Almer Stillwell "Mike" Monroney (1902-1980): Born in Oklahoma; U.S. Representative from Oklahoma, 1939-51; U.S. Senator from Oklahoma, 1951-69."

Carl S. Wrote:

>Does ANYONE have a "build sheet" for a Z Car? I have never seen ,

>nor heard of anyone who did. It is my belief that they simply do not exist.

>Just because Chebby or Ford provided them doesn't mean that Nissan did.

Hi Carl / everyone:

I'd phrase it; "Chevy, Ford and others provide build sheets because their assembly line workers need to know what "factory options" should be installed on the car they are building.

At the Dealerships, the New Car Sales Managers ordered cars from the factory, equipped certain ways for their inventory (depending upon what sold best in their locations) and they Special Ordered cars at their customers directions.

Because the DATSUN 240-Z's for the North American Market had no factory options, there was no need for a "build sheet" for each individual car.

The 240-Z's were most likely built following a daily or weekly Production Order. The Production Orders would specify the number of cars, the color of the cars (and therefore the color of the interiors installed), how many cars got standard transmissions and later how many got A/T's. The Production Orders would allow the assembly lines to be supplied with the needed parts... (so many white interiors, so many black interiors - so much white paint, so much red paint, so much gold paint etc. etc.).

FWIW,

Carl B.

I'm used to build sheets. You might be familiar with other things.

You can call it a production order, build sheet or brochure. In any case there has to be a record, someplace, of what equipment a car has. Either detailed with all the options added on, or just the standard equipment. I wouldn't buy a new car without one.

• 2 months later...

Hi 26th-Z,

I would love to make a research of the vintage Zs living in Japan.

So far I know 4 vintage Z cars are living in Japan.

1. A red 01/70 car (still on sale aprox.$60,000 U.S.!!) I did see this car.

2. A gold 04/70 car (owned by Mr.Ohba) I did see this car.

3. A blue ?/72 car (owned by a car magazine office)

4. A silver ?/70 car (still on sale aprox.$40,000 U.S.!!) I did see this car.

When I get photos of these cars, I will post them.And if I get VINs and other informations I also post them.

Thank you,

kats

I would love to make a research of the vintage Zs living in Japan.

So far I know 4 vintage Z cars are living in Japan.

Perhaps some of those cars should be taken back to the factory for a visit. After all, they haven't been there in 30+ years. ROFL

Thanks Kats!

I want to let everyone know that I am working hard on my research paper. A growing number of Vintage Zs have been found and documented. I have photos of probably half the cars. I have seen and photographed four of them myself. Current values have been documented. The research material includes over 30 articles and related documents. All kinds of activity is going on and I have scheduled a meeting in Virginia with my "mentor" to go over the rough draft and set the "compendium" in its final direction this May. The final document is planned to be ready for the national convention in August and I plan to discuss making it available with Mike here on this site. So many people have helped and I really appreciate every bit of information sent my way. Everyone keep your eyes peeled for Vintage Z information, cars, and photographs.

Many, many thanks!

Chris

I hope to assemble a very comprehensive, informative look at the program and the cars. So far, the work has taken quite a bit of time, but the final result should be great reading