IGNORED

Poll: Should we prevent gallery downloads?

Mike

Should Gallery Images be Protected from Download?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gallery Images be Protected from Download?

• Yes! I do NOT want people downloading my images!
    • No. I don't care if people download my images.
    • This is a stupid poll. Images aren't that important and I don't care.

Alan, in my case, it's not that I think that borrowing pictures from a website for use on another website without the permission of the picture's owner is okay. I only use them for my own viewing, downloaded to my own computer. Especially the charts, diagrams, brochures, etc. You even explained to me, with pictures, a grille badge I found in the junkyard. That kind of information is invaluable to me. That is the sort of thing I come here for. Being part of that '75%' doesn't mean that I condone stealing and misrepresentation of your or anyone's pictures. If there was a cut and dried way to solve this to everyone's satisfaction, I certainly would offer it.

Since you are using my words (quoted without my permission I might add) get it straight! I NEVER said that usage was OK. Though I never considered you as such, you are sounding quite assine!

Mike knows where you stand, and where everyone else stands. Let's all let him decide what is appropriate for the site. You can still go after people on your own no matter what is done on this site.

I only use them for my own viewing, downloaded to my own computer. Especially the charts, diagrams, brochures, etc. You even explained to me, with pictures, a grille badge I found in the junkyard. That kind of information is invaluable to me. That is the sort of thing I come here for. Being part of that '75%' doesn't mean that I condone stealing and misrepresentation of your or anyone's pictures. If there was a cut and dried way to solve this to everyone's satisfaction, I certainly would offer it.

Stephen, I couldn't agree more. Looking around the photo galleries for the past week for information on part location and tubing routing was pointless. Any picture that looked like it might show enough information could not be saved back to my hard drive to blow the picture up (without hassle) and check myself in the reassembly process. Found a picture, guess what, that user has not logged on for the last two years. Did they move on or just lose interest, it would be at best a shot in the dark to contact the person.

But in turn, here is another twist. Only the gallery images are currently protected. The pictures uploaded into a thread are not. If we stay with protection, is protection going to be offered to them? Should we just start uploading images on our own websites and pathing them into threads?

All information on this site is copywrite protected. Did I just violate Stephen's written word by 'copying' his text into my thread? It's endless.....

(I see Carl beat me to that reference)

And yes, I would be pissed :mad: to see someone selling information that I provided at no cost to club members.

Wayne

The following is MY opinion - if anything I say bothers you - get over it.

Personally speaking, I think I'll survive. :rolleyes:

Don't expect me to remember your username for longer than it takes to write this reply, though.

Bottomline in my warped view of the world - with all the destruction of the recent hurricanes - people dying due to war, hunger, and genocide - if the hijacking of a picture is the worst thing in your life - then you are having one sweet life. Personally - take all my pictures - keep my personal identity and credit records safe.

I certainly don't think this is the worst thing in my life, but the subject is relevant to this site and its users.

Thank you for pointing out that - in your opinion - thieving of photos is OK, but you draw the line at your personal identity and credit records. I'm sure that the members of this site will now how they stand with you.

Some people on here have posted more pictures of cars - than I have taken in my lifetime.

Those people really need to get a life don't they? In at least one case, they literally need to get a life.

Perhaps you would like to suggest a reasonable ( respectable, in the light of the state of the World? ) number of photos and posts for each member, so that they don't offend you with their profligacy?

If anything I have written bothers you, then I'm sure you will take your own advice and "get over it".

Why not simply have 2 galleries?

Is there a problem with this, as I asked this question before and was ignored or is this thread being used to deliberatly provoke some members?

Answer please moderators...

Simply make one of non-downloadable.

That would keep everyone happy.

MOM

Yes, he did say that he couldn't make them both. By this I take it he means that the gallery is either downloadable or not.

Thats why I suggested that there are 2 separate galleries. Each gallery is an separate entity.

One that is free for downloading, the other for items that members don't want to have down loaded. Hope that clears up any confusion.

MOM