IGNORED

No Discount at Courtesy Nissan

TomoHawk

The FSM CD's sold by Courtesy (and made by Z Creations) is not legal. They have created a business opportunity w/out a copyright release from Nissan.

I know this because Z Creations contacted me about going into business together. We worked up a deal to use the copyright release for our club. When it came to the end, they undercut me and decided to proceed on their own.

Nonetheless, they have decided to sell CD's separately for a pretty big profit. Not to mention, Courtesy also has a poorly designed microfiche CD to boot (yes, without a copyright release either).

I got ahold of my contact at Nissan and he told me that neither of these companies have the right to sell these products. We are the only club that has managed to 'score' a copyright release on this stuff.

Anyway, I am planning to put together a new CD soon that will have microfiche, manuals, and other goodies of information to help support the club.

Unlike the poor quality products sold by these outfits (anyone purchase a microfiche CD from Courtesy ? I did and it's terrible compared to ours), the products we produce will be put together professionally.

-- Mike

Don't do business with Courtesy. Go to Midwest Z... and, if Chloe doesn't have it, go to Motorsport Auto. I know these people personally and they have done good jobs for most people I know. You can also check out Classic Datsun because they were selected, by Nissan, as one of the professional restoration shops during their "Z Store" project.

Anyway.....

Originally posted by Mike

The FSM CD's sold by Courtesy (and made by Z Creations) is not legal.

Not to mention, Courtesy also has a poorly designed microfiche CD to boot (yes, without a copyright release either).

Unlike the poor quality products sold by these outfits, the products we produce will be put together professionally.

Does that mean the FSM CD I ordered doesn't contain any service information?

Then I should return it immediately, and get the FSM printed locally, as the dealer says. (about $80)

Originally posted by TomoHawk

Does that mean the FSM CD I ordered doesn't contain any service information?

Then I should return it immediately, and get the FSM printed locally, as the dealer says. (about $80)

It does not mean anything like that. What it means is that the product was produced by a private company without a copyright realease from Nissan. What it does mean is that the product is not "authorized" by Nissan. The one my friend owns is complete and a true copy of the 1973 FSM.

Just an FYI, I have a Nissan FSM for a 73 240Z. It's not perfect, but its all in one piece and in decent shape. If anyone wants to buy it, email me a price and it's yours. I no longer have a 73, so it sits on a shelf collecting dust.

.Finally got my FSM CD today. I looked through it for a while to look up the next two things I'm going to work on and I couldn't find them!

1. how to replace the door upper moulding with the rubber window sea (squeegee)l. I know we discussed this here, but I wanted to get the factory's version.

2. How to get at (replace) the headlamps. My goal there is to clean off the connectors in an attempt to improve the headlights.

3. how to adjust the throttle position sensor, or "throttle control switch". Not an immediate concern, but the engine runs rich, so all info gleaned will help in the end.

I did find info on the second, but it didn't mention you had to remove the "inner fender protector."

Overall, what I saw looked a lot like what is printed in the Haynes manual. It was not that detailed, not giving a proper description of how to adjust said control, besides having the idle switch closed at idle, and the WOT switch closed when butterfly is at 34*.

I'm not too impressed. :disappoin

First I need to say I have no experience with the 280Z FSM, but I expect that they would be similar to the 240Z FSM's which I do have experience reading and using.

The 240Z FSM, though a great resource, are not "infinitely" detailed in all areas. There are area's where the description is stated quite simply (i.e. Remove the whatchamacallit from the doo-icky) without mentioning the specific prcedure to do so, or mentioning the pitfalls you might face in attempting this procedure. A certain level of mechanical competence seems to have been assumed in the creation of these manuals. By in large, the manuals are designed to be used by relatively trained professional mechanics with access to the special tools mentioned throughout.

Most people (i.e. the general public) only attempt basic servicing of their vehicles, and send the car to a professional for the major servicing. We are a different breed of cat here.

We, (as a group) can utilize the FSM to help us mainain our vehicles, but it was not written with us (the general public) in mind.

Err...

Working at Nissan, I just called a certain phone number and ordered a brand-new 1972 Datsun 240z Sports Factory Service Manual, both manuals (Chassis/Body and Engine) condensed into one. I paid cost +10% as an employee, but I can check on pricing for club members if you guys would like. Just shoot me a PM.