IGNORED

Evap. tank elimination

beandip

If I park my car in the garage after filling up till the pump stops, i'll get a lot of gas fumes when I go back out there later. I generally just fill up before I know i'll drive at least 40-50 miles or so before putting it back.

If I park my car in the garage after filling up till the pump stops, i'll get a lot of gas fumes when I go back out there later. I generally just fill up before I know i'll drive at least 40-50 miles or so before putting it back.

do you get the fumes inside the cabin of the car , or is it all outside ? If you are getting gas fumes inside the car , there coming from the hoses in back of the trim pannels under the hatch and to the rear of the passanger side rear wheel. I was having the problem of fumes inside mostly like stale varnish stink. Really smelled BAD. This is why I removed the evap. tank and most of the hoses . This tank systime was never used on the early cars shipped to the UK and Aus. only to us here . If you only smell the fumes when the tank has been filled , look to the vent lines for the problem. Do not use coolent line or vacuum line for replacement hoses. Nappa has a selection of sizes of fuel rated hose also a boat supply might have what is needed.

Here is another part (in addition to the vent hoses themselves that can cause gas fumes to be "smelt" in the passenger cabin. The part is NLA, so if yours is broken, you'll have to find one.

I tried to replace it with a section of steel tubing and it didn't work worth a damn. Evidently the "barbed" ends help with sealing quite a bit. Found the right part and installed and no smell since.

• 8 months later...

just checked out beandip's setup in person....

he put a brass collar with threads on one end===stuck the threads into filler hole and used a hose clamp, stuck a hose as per normal on the other end...seams to work good. I'm going to do it, but will probably jb weld the threads so it is solid in the thread area before clamping it.

I was attempting to put my Z back together after a total disassembly and tub paint. I put the fuel catch tank in and had all kinds of trouble getting some hose for this (pic) plastic pipe. I was trying to put a hose BETWEEN the pipe the the filler neck. After I accidentally slipped the plastic pipe INTO the filler, it became obvious what I needed. I put a clamp on the filler and the vent fits nice. I could not remember how it hooked up when I took it all apart 5 months ago. It is kinda like putting together a jig saw puzzle without ever seeing the picture. It is all coming together, finally!