IGNORED

Very rare 240Z emblem

kats

Originally posted by kats

Alan,I need your help about fairlady's emblem parts number.

Because I found very very early fairlady-Z(like showing in the press photo and the first brochure or showed up at the day for journalists of pre-annuncement)has different piller emblem as you posted here.

kats

Hi Kats,

I always thought that the cars in the Japanese press-release photos, which were shown to journalists at the press-only launch prior to the Tokyo Auto Show, carried some details that were not 100% finalised. Its easy to imagine that some of the emblems / badges might have been pre-production samples or even models - put on the cars because the final production items had not yet been finished..... I have not seen the pillar emblems that were seen on the press / show cars actually fitted to any 'production' version car.

I have two sets of part numbers for the emblems fitted to the Japanese-market cars:

*76807-E4100 ORNAMENT - rear quarter ( R.H. )

*76808-E4100 ORNAMENT - rear quarter ( L.H. )

superseded by:

*76807-E8200 ORNAMENT - rear quarter ( R.H. )

*76808-E8200 ORNAMENT - rear quarter ( L.H. )

( from C# S30-04551 & PS30-00401 )

The E8200 numbers are the VENTED type emblem. I knew the vented type emblems were handed left and right ( I've often seen them fitted the wrong way around! ) but I did not realise that the non-vented type were handed too. You learn something new every day.

If there were two part numbers for the early non-vented type emblem then it would be easy to establish a pattern to the story. However, as there are not, I suspect its more a case of the earliest versions being modified in production without a change to the part number........

Incidentally, I have found THREE part numbers for the Fuel Filler Lid closings:

*78820-E4100 CYLINDER arse'Y - fuel filler lid

*78820-E8200 CYLINDER arse'Y - fuel filler lid

( what's the difference between these two? )

And then this one, which was quoted as being for the 432-R:

*84360-E4602 LOCK arse'Y - fuel filler lid

( which I presume is in fact the non-locking turn button type, despite its description ).

I think we can't ignore the fact that we might be looking at pre-production or mock-up emblems, first-production types, and then 'improved' or cost-reduced versions - ALL without any difference in part number, and with varying consistency in fitment to cars as they came off the line. All very confusing when we try to make sense of it retrospectively......

Alan T.

edit for SP.

To Billramsey2002

In reply to your question on why your Zed has the circular "Z" badge on the B pillar.

Series 1 240'z have the 240Z badge and series 2 have the Z badge. The change over came in early 71. Series 1 cars also have the rear hatch vents and other detail changes mainly inside, but they are lighter.

There seems to be a lot of variation between the "inbetween" cars so you might have a mix of both. It wouldn't be the first time.

Ya know guys, I took a look at my emblem last night just to make sure my memory was working and guess what, I lied.....the 240 part of the emblem is chrome but the center of the Z is painted white. Sorry to get ya all excited over nothing.:cry: :cry: :stupid:

Originally posted by 240ZX

Ya know guys, I took a look at my emblem last night just to make sure my memory was working and guess what, I lied.....the 240 part of the emblem is chrome but the center of the Z is painted white. Sorry to get ya all excited over nothing.:cry: :cry: :stupid:

Rats, and I was going to hop a plane and pry them off your car!:devious:

240ZX,

I was excited but thank you for letting us know the truth.Do not

worry I enjoyed a dream about my installing chrome Z.

But I do not give it up,some one up to HLS30-02500 may has chrome "Z".I would like to hear about it.

Alan,thank you for your great search for the part number.

I have to know yes,the car like showing the press photo is a very rare and may have a lot of unsusal parts.

For example,hood bumper stay #63840-E4100 which is located at both sides of inspection lid is a very different shape in the 1969 240Z.Even more some cars on the press photo do not have ones.Nothing there!!

And parts change is notified a few months later is a common I found.For example,quater emblems#76807(8)-E4600 was listed

on the first issued catalog(Nov1969) and continued on the first revision(Mar1970).On the second revision(Jun1970)the part number was surperseded but it says it was made Feb1970.

So in the factory,they changed parts first,parts catalog followed their change.

Mr.NISHI(proffetional restorer in japan)said japanese S30's first parts catalog was not issued until early 1970.

I guess the reason of quater emblems (before the quater vented)for failady-Z has only one part-number is the parts catalog was issued after the emblems had changed.The rare "press photo emblem"was already disapered when the parts catalog was issued.However nissan may change parts itself without change its parts number.

civ104 and 26th-Z,

The lock lid is a standerd in japanese S30.And you can open it with same key for door key.When Z started to use all-in-one key,you can open it with the key also for ignition,door,etc.

But I am not for sure in the U.S.,if you install a lock for a lid at dealer,you may have a extra key for the lid?

240znz and dazza,

Thank you for your inputs.I want to see chrome "z" from your country and U.K. also.If it becomes true,it will be another new findings.

Photo from press day 25th Nov 1969.This Z has colored interior.If body is Blue,interior is blue.If green,interior is tan.

Can you see 240Z emblem got"chrome Z"

kats

post-3193-14150793597555_thumb.jpg

Mr Camouflage,

I agree what you thought.fairlady's quater emblem is very similar to its bonnet emblem.But I show this time,your saying becomes ture.

This Z is from a brief catalog issued 1969 Tokyo motor show for its debut.I found this Z has got a quater emblem on its bonnet!!This is a completely mistake.I asked this to Mr.MATSUO and he said emblems had not made until just a few days before the photo mission.Mr.KATAYAMA felt so much difficulty for naming about export model this is one of the reason,and also design staff was so busy this is another reason,Mr.MATSUO said.

The younger staff ran to the studio like a pizza deliverly staff with emblems in his hands.So this mistake happend.

P.S. My son got a 240Z emblem and dash side ventirator from my parts box.When I found it,it was too late.They are now his toys!!

kats

post-3193-14150793598432_thumb.jpg

This is a true bonnet emblem.Very similar.

mdbrandy,the hubcaps under the table are not "D"mark version.

They are for japanese S30.Instead of a "D" there is a hexagonal silver mark on the center.These I do not need anymore,I bought these for my Z before I got correct "D" caps.

If I list them on ebay,how much people will be looking at?

I listed once on japanese yahoo auction,no one made a bid.

I was sad..

kats

post-3193-14150793623233_thumb.jpg