IGNORED

help with battery hold down

Dlobi

I've heard it's a good idea to put a sheet of rubber or something over/around the positive terminal, so that if the battery slides, the positive won't touch the ground- since the positive is on the passenger side usually.

Mine didn't come with anything for hold down, so I'm just using two thick rubber tie downs (tied in a knot to reduce length) until I can get a better option.  But it does work.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:34 PM, 7tooZ said:

I picked this up years ago and do not remember where. Seems to work okay if your not concerned about looking original.

I really dislike where these batteries are in the 240 but there really isn’t a good place. A friend removed his tray and constructed one much lower turned out pretty decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

That billet hold down is available from MSA

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic10a02/10-9022

but... They are currently back ordered. I've been waiting since Sept 4th, 2017 with no guess from MSA when it might be available.

I made a billet hold down like the MSA one out of Aluminum bar from the hardware store.  It wasn't very difficult.  Just cut to length, drill a hole, and cut a slot, then a bend.  You can cut the wedges out of the sides if you want.  Those are there to fit the old style batteries with the caps on top.  Not needed if you have an optima. I don't have a photo but it is very similar,  just not as shiny and no Z logo.

Well, I went oem. Nissan still makes the part so I ordered one. The billet ones look nice and I would make one for a different car but my car is 100% stock in every way so that's the look I wanted. 

Thanks all. 

27 minutes ago, Dlobi said:

Well, I went oem. Nissan still makes the part so I ordered one. The billet ones look nice and I would make one for a different car but my car is 100% stock in every way so that's the look I wanted. 

Thanks all. 

Did you get the threaded J rod from nissan too? I have the square top part number but not the rod or the bottom tray. If you have those p/n and wouldn't mind posting them I'd be greatfull.

Cliff

6 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Thank you. 

I found the whole assembly a zcardepot.com and he supports our forum so I'll be buying that one.

Thanks again. Cliff

Better yet, I didn't know. Good to know and will remember. Thanks

Edited by Dlobi
Spell
  • Like 1

Thanks gnosez,

I did go with a size 24 battery. I measured height length and width to fit the factory top battery bracket properly. 

I'm ok with the positive post being by the fender. My positive lead had a full rubber cover and the hood height adjust bolts that stick down below the cowl still have their original plastic covers over the threads. 

I hear you but from personal experience a battery hold down is only as good as the person who remembers to check to see if it's tight.

Datsun made a mistake when they put the positive post under the fender and unless you're driving around a concours car (you can swap the original battery back in for a judged show) I don't see a reason to not switch. But each owner decides what he or she wants to do.

I have a wire harness hanging in my garage that caught on fire (real flames) when the battery jumped up and hit the support with enough force to cut through the protective plastic cap while driving on the Skyline Drive. I limped the 240 to Banzai Motors on some bailing wire and Mike suggested the 24F solution.  A few Zs later and each one has had one.