IGNORED

78 280Z Alternator question

kutukutu1

Hello, 

I am new to the z world, but I've always loved this cars, i could just never afford one. 

Finally got one and apart from some electrical issues i am working through, the car has potential, i am confused on the alternator schematic.

What i have circled in red, is that the T connector i keep reading about?

Also, looking at my alternator, the connections on it look nothing like the schematic, all i see is a single wire running to it.

ill post a picture of it when i get home.

Capture.PNG

Edited by kutukutu1

1 hour ago, kutukutu1 said:

Hello, 

I am new to the z world, but I've always loved this cars, i could just never afford one. 

Finally got one and apart from some electrical issues i am working through, the car has potential, i am confused on the alternator schematic.

What i have circled in red, is that the T connector i keep reading about?

Also, looking at my alternator, the connections on it look nothing like the schematic, all i see is a single wire running to it.

ill post a picture of it when i get home.

Where did you read about the T connector? Context is everything. 

Many people have modified their Z cars. One popular conversion is the "one wire GM alternator". You would need to provide a part number/markings on the alternator to confirm.

The wires you have circled are the Sense and Lamp wires. The Sense wire tells the alternator what the voltage is in the system. While the Lamp wire compares the output of the alternator to the system voltage. If the output is low, the lamp lights.

2 hours ago, kutukutu1 said:

apart from some electrical issues i am working through, the car has potential,

Does the engine run?  Does the alternator charge?  Or are you just examining your non-running new project?  There should be two wires, but some of the aftermarket alternators use one.  Maybe yours is not stock.

36 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Does the engine run?  Does the alternator charge?  Or are you just examining your non-running new project?  There should be two wires, but some of the aftermarket alternators use one.  Maybe yours is not stock.

Sorry on the lack of information. The engine currently does not run. i bought the car from a guy that said he started it and ran for about 2 minutes and then the engine harness caught fire. The owner before him had installed an AMP and removed the fusible links which i am going to assume was not done properly. I took out the engine harness and replacing all the damaged wires and when i looked at the schematic saw that it did not match my alternator. I looked up the GM alternator and it does look a lot like it. Ill take a picture later today. i am trying to go thru the electrical and doing the fusible link upgrade again properly before i try and start to make sure i dont get a fire.

Edited by kutukutu1
  • Like 1

Turn your head to the right. Then you can see it says Delco-Remy. :)

It's definitely a GM alternator. I believe it has connectors for Sense and Lamp, but it won't be a T connector. I would have to see the alternator to tell you where those connectors are exactly. I've only touched two GM alternators in the last 30 years, and I don't have a lot of knowledge on the placement of the connectors.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Turn your head to the right. Then you can see it says Delco-Remy. :)

It's definitely a GM alternator. I believe it has connectors for Sense and Lamp, but it won't be a T connector. I would have to see the alternator to tell you where those connectors are exactly. I've only touched two GM alternators in the last 30 years, and I don't have a lot of knowledge on the placement of the connectors.  

Thanks. Ill try and find some info on how to wire this alternator.

17 hours ago, SteveJ said:

So did you get your questions answered?

I think i got what i needed for the time being. I haven't had a chance to look and see if it has the #1 and #2 or if its a true 1 wire. Once i check that and compare to the link you sent, ill know if i have my questions. Thanks again.