IGNORED

Another Try at the Z World

mentalite

Hello from Pennsylvania!

I joined this group back in 2010 when I had the urge to get a 280Z but the dream never materialized.  The urge has re-awakened so here I am.

I have a long love affair with Z cars starting when I was 11 years old in 1978.  My father asked me to take a ride one day in New Philadelphia, OH.  He was an impulsive person so it didn't surprise me when we pulled into a car dealership.  I assume it was a Datsun dealership, but I don't remember if they had stand alone dealerships at that time.  Well we walk in and my dad, who was always a car guy, trips over his tongue when he sees this beautiful black 280Z sitting in the showroom.  "How much are you asking for that car?!" he asks the salesman that materializes out of nowhere as they tend to do.  The salesman's response is as clear in my head today as it was in 1978.  "I'm sorry, sir.  That car isn't for sale.  It's a special edition that we take around for promotion purposes."

Since I'm 11 years old with a short attention span, and I just heard the guy say the car wasn't for sale, I walk outside and roamed around the lot while he and my dad talk.  Some time later I'm surprised to see the glass doors on the showroom slide open and that beautiful black car some out into the sunshine.  It drives right up to me and my dad says "Hop in!  Let's go!"  The conversation ensued where I voiced my confusion and he assured me that he has just purchased the car.  I didn't know if the salesman was just doing a salesmany type thing when he said it wasn't for sale, but if so, it sure worked on my dad.  I don't remember for sure, but I think he paid around $9500 for the car.

He loved that car, and I loved that car.  Everywhere he went I was asking to go along.  My mother drove a 77 Trans Am Bandit edition at that time, but I only had eyes for the Z.  Again demonstrating his impulsive nature, we took many trips on a whim.  Basically leaving the house and ending up in places like Myrtle Beach, SC.  Yep, he was impulsive, but he was also not the most responsible guy that ever lived.  We had moved to Florida in the summer of '79 and the car disappeared one dark night.  Yep, the repo man came and took it away and I was crushed.

I had a few close calls with Zs after that.  A copper color 240 for $3K that my dad talked me out of when I was 16 (probably wisely).  A friend of my brother had a nice blue 260 which I had asked for first chance at before he sold, but that didn't happen.  The dream faded away for many years until I got the aforementioned urge back in 2010 when I joined this site.  It was then that I learned that my dad's car was known as a Black Pearl that was, in fact, a special edition.  I have still yet to see photos of one that looked just like his because it had wheels that looked like a turbine with splines radiating out from the center.  I wish I had photos of the car, but having only had it for two years I guess there wasn't time with all the road trips going on.

Nostalgia should dictate that I want to find a Black Pearl, but my taste runs more toward the sleeker looks of the 240 and the BPs are hard to come by.  I can't believe the increase in value.  Pristine cars that were going for $15K back in 2010 are now closer to $30K.  Man did I miss the boat!  Wish me luck in my search! 

Bill.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbuczesk said:

Welcome! How much are you looking to spend? Is there a year of 240Z that you prefer? Are you looking for a totally stock Z or modified? I'm about an hour south of you. I can keep an eye out for you.

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck.

No particular year, though pre-73 would be best, I think.  No preference stock vs. modified either.  Though I admit to be leaning toward modified.  The difficult part is that I have no desire for a project so am willing to spend the extra cash so I can just get in it and enjoy it.  I'd go into the 20's for the right car.

SO many cars have fresh paint jobs without any photos or documentation of the body work and I don't trust those.  All one has to do is watch some YouTube videos to see that there are some real hack jobs going on out there.  There's a nice modified one down in Virginia that has my attention so we'll see where that goes.