IGNORED

Classic Zcar Club forums mentioned on Mecum Auctions Monterrey broadcast

norcal z

As I write this, I'm watching a condensed "special" 1 hour broadcast of the August 18-20, 2016 Mecum Auctions Monterrey 2016.  There was a red '71 240Z (had the louvered rear hatch) that just rolled across the stage, and while the auction for it was progressing, two of the broadcast crew were more or less bickering about it being an automatic and therefore didn't fetch a very high price (I think it went for around $10K; looked really sharp, though).  Anyway, as the hammer came down, one of them gave a shout-out to the Classic Zcar Forums as the place to go for everything about Zs.  Kinda cool, I thought!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, hr369 said:

Famous for cheap cars. 10k is a rotten price for a 71

Agreed, that isn't much for a pretty nice looking Z.  But as we know, automatics don't fetch the prices of standard tranny cars all other things being equal, so I think that should be expected.  Anyway, the guy who gave the shout-out was closing out the other guy bickering over it being an auto, so I thought it was pretty cool.  The context was that if you wanted information about Zs, go to the forum.

Just now, norcal z said:

Agreed, that isn't much for a pretty nice looking Z,  But as we know, automatics don't fetch the prices of standard tranny cars all other things being equal, so I think that should be expected.  Anyway, the guy who gave the shout-out was closing out the other guy bickering over it being an auto, so I thought it was pretty cool.  The context was that if you wanted information about Zs, go to the forum.

Someone hasn't figured this out yet? There is no build sheet on these cars. Put a $200 4 speed in it and hike the price by 10k

27 minutes ago, norcal z said:

But as we know, automatics don't fetch the prices of standard tranny cars all other things being equal

I really think the irony of this is that in 20-25 years automatics will be worth more because only about 7% of new cars are manual and new drivers aren't learning how to drive them. The 40 yr olds of the future aren't gonna want to buy our cars if they can't drive them. The auto's will be rare and highly valued. I may be wrong, just a theory...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, norcal z said:

As I write this, I'm watching a condensed "special" 1 hour broadcast of the August 18-20, 2016 Mecum Auctions Monterrey 2016.  There was a red '71 240Z (had the louvered rear hatch) that just rolled across the stage, and while the auction for it was progressing, two of the broadcast crew were more or less bickering about it being an automatic and therefore didn't fetch a very high price (I think it went for around $10K; looked really sharp, though).  Anyway, as the hammer came down, one of them gave a shout-out to the Classic Zcar Forums as the place to go for everything about Zs.  Kinda cool, I thought!

Awesome!  Any idea who it was that gave us a shout-out?  

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

This may be the Z's they were discussing from the auction.  I'm trying to see if I can find the broadcast somewhere.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0816-244296/1971-datsun-240z-coupe/

Mike, yes, it was the orange '71.  I came in on the broadcast after it had begun, so I don't know who the guys in the booth were.  It was on NBCSN.

Edited by norcal z
Edit to correct the car color