IGNORED

I pulled the N42 head

gundee

I was getting a small of coolant loss and and found some evidence here pictured. Does it look like to anyone here this may have 

been leaking into either no. 1 or 2 cylinder?

I have a rebuilt E31 going back on as a replacement. I will eventually rebuild this N42 head.

IMG_20160321_152413.jpg

Is that immediately after you unbolted it and pulled it or did it sit for a while?  The cylinder sealing ring areas look rusty, like the head sat on the head gasket on the block for a while, unbolted.  Should be somewhat shiny where it sealed correctly and dirty where it leaked.

Do you have pictures of the head gasket and block?  The head gasket itself usually tells a story.

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Is that immediately after you unbolted it and pulled it or did it sit for a while?  The cylinder sealing ring areas look rusty, like the head sat on the head gasket on the block for a while, unbolted.  Should be somewhat shiny where it sealed correctly and dirty where it leaked.

Do you have pictures of the head gasket and block?  The head gasket itself usually tells a story.

Now that you mention that I did remove the head bolts last November and did not get back on it until last week.

I will post the block photo.

3 hours ago, cbuczesk said:

It may have leaked a little into #1. When that happens it'll steam clean the head and piston

I was thinking the same thing. The little clean area along the bottom perimeter of #1 looks like an area that steam might have been cleaning the combustion dome.

I'd also check the edge on the bottom that runs between #1 and #2. Looks like there is some corrosion there, and there is a coolant hole located there. Hard to tell if it's been sitting for several months. Would be worth while taking it to a machine shop, and have it checked for flatness, if you plan on using this head in the future. Probably will need ant least a skim shave.

Edited by Chickenman

This is the block side with the head gasket still on. Its no big deal I guess.

This L28 engine came from a 75 automatic and no clue on the mileage.

Should rebuild it but thats not in the cards right now.

I have a E31 modified with larger SS 280 valves.  I am going to put this on as an experiment as you don't see

it done too much on a dish pistons. Still will not have even 9.0 to 1 CR.

Schneider ground my cam for this set up. It is shipped and should have this week.

Maybe I can get a photo of the E31 head posted too.

IMG_20160321_151431.jpg