IGNORED

Leaving the car at idle in the garage for 20 minutes

jalexquijano

While trying to sort out a problem with the horn switch i left my 72 240z  at idle in my garage. Results:

Temperature climbed more than 3/4, car tended to stall and Rpm dropped to 400 and rised back to 1000 rpm, Havent checked the spark plugs but i can believe they are black. Could the fan clutch need replacement? This should not happen! Imagine you were stuck on a traffic jam for more than 20 minutes?????

This is serious issue!

post-28721-0-05857100-1448239373_thumb.j

Edited by jalexquijano

Mechanical issues aside I would be reluctant to idle the car in the garage even with the door open.  Carbon monoxide....

I had a funny feeling after reading the title of this thread, I'm glad it was just a hot gauge and not that something had gone horribly wrong.

Not too long ago this young guy around here didn't want his Dad's pressure washer running in the rain so he brought it into the garage he wash washing down.  The garage door was open and still he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.  Hard to believe but true, and sad.

I had a funny feeling after reading the title of this thread, I'm glad it was just a hot gauge and not that something had gone horribly wrong.

Not too long ago this young guy around here didn't want his Dad's pressure washer running in the rain so he brought it into the garage he wash washing down.  The garage door was open and still he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.  Hard to believe but true, and sad.

Im sorry to hear that. My garage does not have a door so i dont think i will die of carbón monoxide. Anyway im still trying to decide if i should purchase a fan clutch or not! Imagine you were in a traffic jam with the ac on?? I did installed an electric fan in front of the condenser.

Edited by jalexquijano

Anyway im still trying to decide if i should purchase a fan clutch or not! Imagine you were in a traffic jam with the ac on?? I did installed an electric fan in front of the condenser.

I would check to see which way the electric fan blade is turning. Is it blowing cool outside air into the engine compartment and through the radiator or pulling hot air out? As for overheating, when I've had that problem in Los Angeles freeway traffic, turning the AC off and turning on the heater has brought the engine temp down. Although it makes it a little uncomfortable in the passenger compartment.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno