IGNORED

Points Trouble FYI!

motivealloy

Hey gang,  Wanted to share this story. It's a great FYI. And it's not mentioned anywhere to check as a possible failure.

We have been battling a crazy distributor problem for the past month.

First the 240z began to slowly run horrible to the point where it just wouldn't stay running after starting. After about a week of troubleshooting, checking compression (124-128psi), checking valves (a tiny bit out), Checking timing (dead on), Checking for water in the gas (nope), replacing the coil, and lots of cussing nothing. One thing we didn't check was the points... hmm, why should we they were replaced only a month earlier. They look fine. Might as well check with the feeler gauge. HOLY CRAP! The points had walked open to almost a 1/16" inch! The set screw is still tight. What the hell? So I'm thinking that the tiny washer some how shifted position and caused the points to widen the gap. i placed a thin wide washer under the set screw to get even pressure on the plate. Fires right up! Runs perfect. Yay, sigh of relief.

Then, a week later my son is driving and the 240 and it just dies for no reason. Cranks over strong but just won't start. Tow it home and send the 240 to the corner for being bad.

Crap, maybe the points or distributor went wrong again. I check the point gap and it's perfect. All the leads are good. Dist is grounding properly. Shaft is fine, Cap is fine, rotor is fine. What is going on. stupid car... Then I notice when I open and close the points they stick open. Are you freaking kidding me! The brand new points just stick wide open. Ugh...

So we squirted some silicon at the pivot and all is fixed now. Runs like a champ again. 

OMG, this is the most frustrating and troublesome set of points I have ever had on any car!

Needless to say we are replacing these aftermarket points with OEM Nissan. 

Lesson learned. ;(