IGNORED

Rebuilding The Nikki Fuel Pump

motivealloy

Hey gang,

I am going to share with you what I've done to rebuild a 240z fuel pump with great success. This is also (for the time being) an inexpensive solution to rebuilding an original Nikki 240-260Z mechanical fuel pump.

What I have learned so far is; rebuild kits for our old fuel pumps have not been available in American for some time now. They are available in Australia and maybe Canada but importing them here isn't cost effective. Original NOS 240Z Nikki fuel pumps are extremely expensive, and the aftermarket fuel pumps look like crap. There are electric fuel pumps available cheap but they require wiring and fuel pressure regulators and I think they are unsightly.

My background is in international manufacturing. The one thing i know about intl mfg is that a lot of parts suppliers HATE making 10 or 15 versions of the same damn part. So what they implement is, what is called in the manufacturing industry as, "part uniformity" or "part sharing". The term is exactly as it implies. Multiple similar items will share some of the same basic parts. This cuts down on overburdening the manufacturing process. It is far more cost effective and easier to pump out 100,000 of the same part than 1000 each of 100 slightly different versions of the same part.

Japan is notorious for using this philosophy in it's auto industry. It was only about 10 years ago that US auto makers adopted part uniformity in their assembly lines.

Okay, with that being said I began to do a little research on our Nikki fuel pumps. And voila, exactly as i suspected!! Nikki used the same exact castings and rubber gaskets in it's fuel pumps it supplied for many models of Datsun autos.

What am I getting at with this primer you may ask? Simple, Nikki fuel pump parts from different cars are swappable.

Here is a photo of an NOS 240Z Nikki fuel pump. They cost about $175 to $225 for an NOS example.

NOS-240Z.JPG?psid=1

Here is a Nikki fuel pump for a Datsun F-10 wagon next to our original "leaking" Nikki fuel pump. These cost about $25 to $60 for an NOS example.

IMG_2113.JPG?psid=1

Notice that the F-10 and 240Z fuel pumps both have 271070 part numbers cast in the side. This number signifies the type of internal mechanism and components of the fuel pump. It is NOT the part number for a 240Z fuel pump as I have read elsewhere. A Nikki fuel pump from an F-10, 610, 710, 620, 510, 210, B210, 310, 240Z, 260Z all use the same fuel pump internal parts. Only difference between the pumps is the lower body casting (240z has three bolts to secure to engine the other only has two), actuator lever shape and size, and the fuel inlet location.

IMG_2112.JPG?psid=1

The upper castings are the same on both fuel pumps. Except for where the fuel lines are tapped.

TIP: Make sure to have a complete complement of flat blade screwdrivers handy. I used at least three different thickness of blades dismantling the fuel pump. Loosen all of the screws on the fuel pump while the fuel pump is bolted to the engine. This allows you to get much more torque on those stubborn screws. AVOID using a Philips head at all cost. They tend to strip out the screw heads very easily.

IMG_2120.JPG?psid=1

The main fuel diaphragms are similar in construction. The newer one on the right is a better design. It has two membranes sandwiched together instead of one thick one like our original had. And the spring retainer cup holds the pump spring more secure. Notice that the tab that fits under the actuator arm is not the slotted style like what you would find on a rebuild kit. You will have to remove the fuel pump from the engine block to wiggle the diaphragm out. It's fairly easy. Just push down and slide the diaphragm housing away from the actuator lever.

IMG_2115.JPG?psid=1

Dual diaphragm design.

IMG_2118.JPG?psid=1

Upper casting with same internal fuel valves. New one is on the left. I didn't swap these parts out as the screws were stuck and I didn't want to damage anything. Also, the valves were in great shape so really no need to swap them.

IMG_2119.JPG?psid=1

cont...

• Like 1

hey thanks guys here are some quick replys:

Cliff,

Just look up "Nikki Fuel pump" on ebay. A ton will pop up. Just look for the right one at the cheapest price.

Darrel,

That website has the rebuild kit but after shipping fees are tacked on for Canada to US that $30 kit jumps into the $50+ range.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Steve and Robert,

Thanks for the thorough description of the process.  The engine from my 73 is being rebuilt at Datsun Spirit now, and after almost 42 years it seems prudent to rebuild the fuel pump too.  If I understand correctly, I need a pump with 271070 on the lower casting.  Correct?

How do I know if the a pump has the dual layer diaphragm that you illustrate?  Also, isn't it possible that the gaskets have dried out, or may tear when disassembling the NOS pump?

Peter

Hey Peter,

Yes that is correct. Just look for Nikki fuel pump on ebay. The Nikki fuel pump from an F-10, 610, 710, 620, 510, 210, B210, 310, 240Z, 260Z all use the same fuel pump internal parts. The easiest way to tell if it has a dual diaphragm is the little tab of rubber that sticks out the side of the pump will have a tiny staple in it. You can see it in the photos i posted.

The rubber gaskets shouldn't be dry as it's been sitting on a shelf. ;)

• Like 1