IGNORED

280ZX vs 280ZX 2+2 transmissions

7tooZ

11 hours ago, 7tooZ said:

Should still work with a 240 clutch and zx throw out, Correct?

Always use the throwout bearing collar that goes with the clutch. If you use the 240Z clutch, use the 240Z throwout bearing collar. Its the pressure plate height that is different, not yhe transmission.

If you want a close ratio than any NA Coupe after August 79 will be fine. I find it hard to believe you will notice the difference between the 5th in the 1980 model compared to the 1981 - 83 model.

For info: If you do go with a 2+2 it will be the same as the 280Z wide ratio 5 speed. First will be very low with a 3.7 or 3.9 diff. The 240mm clutch will work fine in a 240Z, but it is heavier. You should use a lightened flywheel if you use it. The 240mm has a lot more grip, but keeps a soft clutch pedal like the original clutch. I use one with a lightened flywheel and I like it.

I made this table a while back to help me finding a suitable transmission. It might be some help to you looking for a transmission.FS5W71B transmissions.JPG

Edited by EuroDat

10 hours ago, 7tooZ said:

I would be interested in see what shifter you have found. 

The stock 72 shifter can work with some grinding like Siteunseen mentioned. For the earlier cars like your's and mine (70) with the A trans. I hear some trimming is still needed at the tunnel opening and possibly the console too. 

This is the stock one

Shifter b.jpg

Some take and bend a s curve in the one above and it clears the tunnel. 

This is sorta like the Nismo one that is NLA.

I just bought a parts car and it had one like this in it. 

Shifter C2.jpg

A Nissan truck has this one that I have been looking for. I finally found one at Tumwater Pick N Pull

The one on the bottom. It has the same base as the ZX shifter.

shifter D.jpg

7 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I put the 240 speedo cog in the ZX transmission, new oil seal around the speedo cable too.

Don, if you are going with a 3:70 (same one I picked) you need the blue speedo cog, you can get just the cog 32703-78102 and mount it into the ZX holder. Your old 4 speed holder will not work in the new ZX trans. If your 2+2 trans does not have the holder you can still get the assembly from Nissan with a blue cog in it (32702-58S18)

While the trans is out I would replace the front and rear seals too.

7 hours ago, EuroDat said:

Always use the throwout bearing collar that goes with the clutch. If you use the 240Z clutch, use the 240Z throwout bearing collar. Its the pressure plate height that is different, not yhe transmission.

The 240mm clutch will work fine in a 240Z, but it is heavier. You should use a lightened flywheel if you use it. The 240mm has a lot more grip, but keeps a soft clutch pedal like the original clutch. I use one with a lightened flywheel and I like it.

Agreed EuroDat, It is a whole package either way all 225mm or all 240mm

I am going with a 240mm kit with the 240mm collar that came with my 2+2 trans and a lighted flywheel. I weighed my new 240mm kit against the old stock 225mm kit (flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc) and it was only 6 or 7 pounds lighter overall. I didn't want it to rev like an indy car. (too light)

TZ

Agreed EuroDat, It is a whole package either way all 225mm or all 240mm
I am going with a 240mm kit with the 240mm collar that came with my 2+2 trans and a lighted flywheel. I weighed my new 240mm kit against the old stock 225mm kit (flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc) and it was only 6 or 7 pounds lighter overall. I didn't want it to rev like an indy car. (too light)
TZ

Great info thanks

Don's iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I have a light weight flywheel. Its more to compensate for the heavier 240mm pressure plate and clutch disc. I had it lightened in a shop that does that a lot. Mine is not as light as the fidanza aluminium units https://fidanza.com but I didn't want it to be. I think they are a little too light for street use. Not very drivable down low in the revs.

If you prefer to drive with the engine mostly in the 1500 to 3500 rpm band then I would not go for a lightened flywheel.

A lightened flywheel will help acceleration and deacceleration. The engine will react more to any throttle movements.

Don, 

My reasons for opting for a lighter flywheel is in the same realm as EuroDat, to compensate for the 240mm disc. It will also make the car rev a "little" quicker as it is still under the stock package weight. 

Agreed the Fidanza is too light for street use at 10.7 lbs. I think mine is 14.5 lbs and with the 240mm clutch weight it should be a happy medium (full clutch plate, not the 6 puck race plate.) 

I have read it is easier to stall the car from a dead stop so there will be a little foot reaction learning curve I'm sure.

With the cam I have my car likes the higher RPM's, 3000 and up range anyway, I wanted to make the throttle response a little snappier. 

You could just have two or three pounds taken off yours, to gain a little of that snap but retain all of the daily driver ability.  You don't have to buy a new lightened flywheel there are places that turn and balance the stock one.

Option options options.......Do what you think is the best for your driving style.

Use the ZX inner shifter boot which was made to allow for a 5th gear position. A 280 5spd will work too but I've found the ZX is less restrictive.

I found this out when the shifter would pop out of 5th when I lifted using the 4-spd inner boot. Thought it was the tranny but was happy to find out it wasn't.

The ZX outer, trimmed works just fine in a 240 console.

11 hours ago, gnosez said:

Use the ZX inner shifter boot which was made to allow for a 5th gear position. A 280 5spd will work too but I've found the ZX is less restrictive.

I found this out when the shifter would pop out of 5th when I lifted using the 4-spd inner boot. Thought it was the tranny but was happy to find out it wasn't.

Like this. :D

DSC01458.thumb.JPG.37ee87753f243c90e8ce3c18b9494005.jpeg

On 4/9/2017 at 5:17 PM, gnosez said:

Is this the 280ZX inter boot your referred to?

280ZX.jpg