IGNORED

Speaker 240Z

delsol

Hi, 

I´m looking for speakers to install in a 240Z. I would like to replace the 4 original speakers behind the rear side panels. 

Can anyone recommend a speaker that fits in there without modification? 

Thank you! 

Edited by delsol

I saw that there are two openings for speakers on each side of the rear side panels. Looks original to me. 

Thats why I don't want to go with the speaker panel because I want to keep the interior as original as possible. 

IMG_1676.jpg

You may want to remove the panels to make sure the brackets are there to install the speakers. On my 75 280 I had panel holes for 2 speakers (the back ones, there was none up high like yours) but only one speaker (driver side). I had to get a bracket to mount the pass side and had to run wires since the harness did not support a speaker there. I used some NOS speakers from the late 80's Not too deep. You want to make sure if a coax type tweet is on the speaker that it does not extend out in front and get fouled by the panel.

39 minutes ago, delsol said:

I saw that there are two openings for speakers on each side of the rear side panels. Looks original to me. 

Thats why I don't want to go with the speaker panel because I want to keep the interior as original as possible. 

IMG_1676.jpg

The factory did not put speakers back there. The area on the left is solid behind the plastic panel. The area in the lower right can be creatively used to mount a speaker. I've done it. You could put 5 1/4" speakers in the rear side and buy the custom kick panels with speaker holes for up front. You could mount boxes behind the seats or under the dash. They aren't the best locations acoustically but they can go there and not really be noticed.

Chuck

I've got a '73 with AM/FM radio, stock speaker is at lower left side. The radio sounded horrible so I replaced the old speaker with one from PEP Boys for about $25. That made it a little louder and better tone. Still not much of a sound system though. IMO the stock radio has poor sensitivity, selectivity, and volume. Hitachi made good hi-fi equipment so I don't know why these radios are so crappy. My Sony ghetto blaster is 3 times as loud and gets 3 times as many stations. You could wire in another speaker on the lower right side, but I doubt if the stock radio has enough power output to drive an upgrade speaker system, without a booster amp.

The original speaker in my 71 240Z I used to have didn't make an air tight seal against the plastic panel that covered it, I am no audiophile but if the speaker could somehow be sealed around the edges of the speaker the bass would sound better (better tone).  I agree, the original radio I had in my '71 Z sounded horrible.   

The stock AM radio on my '71 was the first thing to go when I started looking for things that needed to be upgraded.  It sits in a box on a shelf in my garage.  I replaced it with an AM/FM stereo radio in about 1972 and added a new speaker behind the right rear speaker opening.  

I have a stock Datsun AM/FM that will eventually replace the aftermarket radio that's been in the dash for decades.

Dennis

You are only limited by your imagination, selection of tool, and the skills needed to use them.  When I was planning to stick with my AM/FM/CD/BT radio I was going to install two 6.5" speakers behind the plastic trim panel.  Using an Eggo waffle box (leggo my Eggo!) I started making a rough template for the driver side.  After examining it I had my doubts if there would be room for the power antenna and I decided to install a factory AM radio so there was no need for something this big.  I abandoned the project but your car came with one 5.25" speaker just like mine.  You could use the original mount as a template to cut out another mount for the passenger side and have dual rear speakers.  Some cardboard for making a template, a sharpie, some flat 20-22ga steel, and an assortment of tin snips should help you get what you want. 

SpeakerMockUp01.jpg

Antenna01.jpg