IGNORED

Silver Mine Motors Review

tymarbry

I know that there will probably be a large backlash from the community but its my opinion and experience on here, so don't get all hot and bothered from this.

I was looking at a rear disc upgrade for my 280z (240sx brakes upgrade). And the price seemed ok enough that it prompted me to buy seeing that most people had good things to say about the company. While I was at it I purchased the 1" Wilwood tandem brake Master cylinder also so that I could put good power to the new brakes and see some improvement.

I waited the 5 odd days for it to arrive in KS and did a check on all the parts and pieces. I immediately noticed that there were 2 left side calipers. And not one of each the right and left.

This didn't make any sense since there were the correct adapters for the calipers, but not the right calipers themselves.

I called Edan and asked if he could ship out the correct one and I would send the extra left one back. I also asked that he ship it same day since I needed this project done over the weekend to goto work on Monday. He told me that he couldn't do that, which I felt was very crappy. since he was the one that hand packed it he said, and made the mistake but wouldn't provide me with excellent customer service by covering for his mistake.

I shipped back the caliper and waited another 5 days... Drove a rental car until the next weekend rolled around...

I get my caliper complete the swap and decided to tackle the master cylinder since the lines were already filled with air.

I removed the check valve springs and such and noticed that one of the seats for the front brakes had a gouge in it. and where it seats in the outlet also had a gouge, like it had been dropped or forced into place, crushing it slightly.

I didn't know if it was that big an issue, so I proceeded to install it. sure enough it leaked under pressure. I thought maybe it was the hardline. So I replaced it. still leaked. Emailed him asking if he could send me a new one and then I would switch them out, send him back the defective one. Edan said that he would have to see if Wilwood would give him one in exchange and all this.

---------------------------------------

As an update he is sending me a replacement wilwood MC and cover the shipping for the returned part. So its nice that we could work something out.

Edited by tymarbry
  • Like 1

Personally, I appreciate these kinds of stories. The world is moving toward companies trying to buy and manipulate their reputations, rather than put the work in. I hope though, that you didn't jump the gun on your dealing with Silvermine. He's been on this site I believe, so he might screw you over even worse.

Well as an update, I have gotten an email from him apologizing for the troubles. And that I will get a replacement master cylinder.

I hope it does work out. because I want there to be support for our community and I want these cars to be used and not just left in a field or thrown away. These cars deliver a driving experience like no other car ive owned.

Hey guys, I'd like to speak up on this issue because Silvermine is a sponsor of this site. I have talked with Edan many times and feel that he is a reputable vendor and will treat you fairly. I encourage you to work with him over the phone and finalize your project before posting a final review after it's all complete. Thanks.

• Like 1

I wasn't very impressed by Silver Mine Motors either. It became very apparent early on he's just some kid selling parts out of his apartment. I bought the front brake caliper and rotors off him and he said there was a delay on the rotors because he needed to get them drilled and coated? So... He's getting parts from who knows where and refurbishing them? Great.

Sent me 2 packages. 1 with the smallest item (the wire cables) on their own instead of packing them in the big box with the rest? Who pays double for shipping?

Edan has been nothing but professional and helpful any and every time I have dealt with him. I would highly recommend him to anybody on this site. I have called him on his cell phone with no issues and recieved mulitiple deliveries with no issues. I'm sure if you call him or email him your issues will be discussed and resolved.

• Like 1

I bought a master cylinder from him and everything was fine-but I did go to his house.

I don't think he's making any pretentions about being a full time parts distributor. Just speaking for myself, I was glad to get the part and it has worked out well.

Running a business is hard work, and running it well is even harder. How you handle the problems can make the difference.

And Silvermine is promoting itself as a full service, striving-for-excellence, the-customer's-experience-matters kind of company. If his/their web site said "we're just some guys making parts on the side", the situation could be looked at differently.

About Us

Sounds like he realized he needs to fix the master cylinder problem. I assume that he covered the shipping costs.

That's life on the big stage, no hiding.

• 11 months later...

Hey everyone this is Edan, the owner of Silver Mine Motors. 

I just wanted to give my side of the story. I'm my defense Those Wilwood master cylinders are bought from Wilwood. They are not a part that we make! We simply buy them for $108 and sell them to the community for $135. they come packaged in a plastic a bag from Wilwood. I have had this exact problem happen 2 times since we started selling them, and also one time a reservoir cap broke. 

I always try to provide my customers with exceptional customer service!!!! Many times I will send out new parts in exchange for defective parts from suppliers like Wilwood. In the past I would ship out replacement parts the same day a customer asked me to. I would trust the customer to return the defective parts a few days later. Those customers NEVER send back the defective parts! not even once! That's why I stopped doing that. People take advantage every time. These days I wait until I receive the defective part, then ship out the replacement. 

I feel that I handle these situations in a way that is fair to all parties involved. Obviously no one is happy when parts are defective, but we need to fix the problem, move forward, and forgive and forget. It also helps to realize that we are all humans that occasionally make mistakes. I'm sorry I sent you 2 left side calipers. I hope there are no hard feelings. 

Edan

• 1 year later...

I have had the pleasure to buy parts from Edan. He is a humble young man with a passion for the 240Z.

It is this younger generation, the very few, that keep Old School passions alive.

I appreciate what he does; he is always available, and it is never a bother for him to discuss Z car related items/issues.

As for the " being out of his apartment...", comment, I feel that is garbage.

Many successful business started in a garage (Hewlett-Packard, Apple, etc) and I applaud Edan for being true to his Passion. He will be successful.

GIchiro

Edited by GIchiro

• 10 months later...