IGNORED

FYI Fuel Tank Vent Hose Info

Hardway

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my project and an FYI. I am following Joseph Demer's website on replacing the vent hoses in my '72 240z. On his site he lists the 1/2" ID hose that runs from the vent tank to the driver side of the gas tank needs to be 4ft long. I am not sure if there is some big difference between a '70 240z and a '72 but I ordered 5ft online as no one nearby carries it thus paying a premium for it. I went to install it and the hose is a 1ft too short meaning that I really need 6ft just like all the other hoses. I went ahead and ordered 8ft just to be on the safe side. I threw my old hose away once I got out of the car because it smelled so bad. It never occured to me to measure but lesson learned. Has anyone else run in to this? Everything else on Joseph's site appears to be correct and I am truly thankful he took the time to create it for us.

http://www.jrdemers.com/280ZX/tankvents/tankvents.html

• 4 weeks later...

I wrapped up my vent line project and got the vent tank mounted. A note to everyone, the 1/2" vent line is a VERY TIGHT fit around the tubes on both the gas tank and the vent tank. I used a little caliper grease to coax it on but could only get it on about half way.

For everyone else that has installed the vent tank was it a big PITA to get mounted back in the car? It seemed like all the rubber hoses were fighting me the whole time. I kept moving and tugging the 2 larger lines on the bottom of the tank to help get it in position. After about 30mins of fighting with it I finally got it in. Maybe it was just me but I am curious to hear what others have to say.

I just replaced all the hoses with NOS and the entire process was a PITA. You absoltuely need to grease the fittings on and once all are in place, jockeying the vent tank is a thrill on its own. I should have greased the chassis gromits which protect the hoses as well, they kept pulling off and are a painful to keep in place. I was fortunate in that I was able to source all hoses and gromits so everything is brand new, along with the assembly of the car as it is now finally off the rotissorie.