IGNORED

How do you Poilsh Valve Cover?

fightyourself

Good job on that intake manifold. Since that's a normaly rough casting, it took quite a bit of flatening work to bring that up to par!

Short cut - you can "get a away" without sanding on well finished pieces, by using a sisal buff (very rough) with emery compound (very aggressive), first, before moving to the tripoli.

1st step - emery compound on sisal - hard pressure, move piece against buff rotation (cutting motion)

2nd step - Clean all the emery compound off!

3rd step - Tripoli compound on spiral buff - hard pressure, cutting motion. The work will get very hot during this step!

4th step - Clean again! It's very important not to contaminate your next step, the coloring.

5th step - white rouge on loose flannel or single stitch pillow buff

medium pressure, moving piece with buff rotation (color motion)

This short cut works pretty well on clean work. It will not take out pits, or deep imperfections. Nothing beats staged sanding. On semi finished cast pieces (like Dave's intake manifold) there's no short cuts (right Dave?).

If you want to polish your carb domes, BE VERY CAREFULL! you must cut back on the pressure and buff time, as the heat will pull them out-of-round (not good).

Always be very carefull around the edges of the piece and the buff. At 3,000 RPM, if you catch an edge on the buff, it WILL tear the work out of your hands and likely take a piece of you with it!

I think the best thing is for one of the Super Moderators to just move the entire thread into the Technical Articles Forum. I moderate the Tech Articles forum, but I can only move threads out, not into that forum. I tried to copy a printable version of it, but it's too large, plus we loose the pictures. I'll PM Keith and Victor & see it they'll do it for you "polishers".