IGNORED

AT 83 280ZX for 16year old???

EricB

Hi guys and gals,

Question for you this evening.

So the in-laws to be are looking for a first car for their youngest (16) daughter who's just passed her driver's license.

First she was looking at early 80s Mercedes 560SL: too expensive

Then she was looking at early to mid 70s BMW 2002s: I said bad idea in case it breaks down and you have to pay $$$ for BMW parts

Then she was enamored with a mid 60s Ford Falcon sedan: I said sure (easy mechanicals, cheap parts, etc)

Now apparently they are looking at an '83 280ZX

The catch is she only wants an automatic car.

The budget is not to exceed $3500.-

She refuses the sensible choice: a Honda - we tried, it was my first car after all.

So what do you all think?

-e

Originally posted by EricB

So what do you all think?

-e

I think a 20 year old sports (ok, sporty) car is a bit unreasonable for a first time driver. If they really insist on a Z car for that budget perhaps an 89 300ZX would be more reasonable and reliable. It looks like $3000 is about average for an '89 automatic.

I agree with you.

Perhaps you gathered from the list of cars that she's looking for something a bit out of the ordinary. Her two older siblings when their time came got a 74 Karmann Ghia and a 73 Bronco (granted this was 10 years ago).

I don't think she's dead set on a Z.

What else might you suggest as possible other cars for her to look at?

-e

What else might you suggest as possible other cars for her to look at?

-e

Perhaps an early 90's RX7. However, it's really hard to even guess without knowing a person's tastes.

What else might you suggest as possible other cars for her to look at?-e

I would not suggest anything that is powerful, or "sports car like" for a 16 year old, male or female. I've seen too many otherwise "stable" teenagers go NUTZ in higher performing vehicles while out of Mommy and Daddy's view. True it can happen with any car, but inexperienced drivers are not capable of controlling the power and responsiveness of these types of cars. It takes time and practice to learn car control and responsibility behind the wheel. In short, these cars easily outperform the inexperienced driver (and some experienced drivers too!) who's judgement in a vehicle is not well developed.

Seerex had some good suggestions. Better she demonstrate responsibility behind the wheel for a few years before being handed a sports car or other high powered vehicle.

Have to admit I gave my son a 73 z for his 16th birthday(last year), but when the front wheel fell off one night when he was doing 65 on a curve(an effective reality check for both my son and myself), I decided a car with more safety features and a bit newer would be good. Bright red 2001 Tiburon(appeals to his ricer inclinations, safer, lower power, and low cost.) It also is way more unique looking than the generic Hondas, Nissans, and Toyotas and the 5 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper waranty(not the 10 year, 100,000mile powertrain) transfers to the new owner. Probably more money than they're willing to spend though. Sounds like she has some good taste in cars, so the reliable generics would probably not satisfy her, unfortunately. Good luck, Victor.

My 2cents, both my sons had to drive my 92 Saturn SL2 for a minimum of one year before they could go to another car. Why, drivers side air bag, very high crash safety stats, ABS, less expensive than a Honda but as reliable, ~30 MPG in town, ~37 MPG hwy and does not hurt yours eyes to look at.

Since they are not the "in" car with the ricers you can get one with ~100,000 miles for $2000-2500 and if she wants a sportier version she can get the SC2 same car different skin.

I think is crazy to let a new driver have a higher powered car with rear wheel drive. My own personal experience with this is my son driving the 92SL2 hit a new female driver when she pulled out in traffic and tried to accelerate hard but she lost traction and slid into his lane. He was ok, the car was fixed by him and I with $450 of parts and her insurance gave me $2000:classic: Oh what was she driving . . . . a Ford Lighting

:stupid: :stupid: :stupid: