IGNORED

Elephant oil cap

Victor Laury

• 1 month later...

My 73 originally came with the "plain oil" cap from orig. owner. Cap was beat. When I first had car serviced 5 yrs ago, they "suggested" I get a new "oem" cap. They put a new elephant oil cap on. They put a new Nissan radiator cap on too. Now my Z never forgets......

I have one that will trump you all,

My 74 Z has a 710 cap on it but... wait for it....

The elephant is upside down...ROFL

Since this is obviously as rare as, I will consider selling it. I will consider any offers over $10,000 au. Note the car is not included...:stupid:

I was interested enough to send the seller a question about where he got his info, and he said:

I found the info in a Japan magazine on the history of the Bluebird. It covers the BRE, Rallly, SSS as well as other 510/bluebird info.

FWIW

Hello,

I have 2 oil caps, the one is just"oil" on it and the other is unique for the elephant picuture and japanese caution.

I can see the "just oil" cap on the first U.S. brochure.But I do not know about elephant oil cap for U.S. model.

Here is a photo of my oil cap march 1970 240Z.

http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903/details.html

http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903/240zmore008.jpg

And I interpret this elephant oil cap I attached here,

let's begin from north-hemisphere,from the left to the right

"Elephant oil Wo,"

Wo is specifying (or I can say requesting) "elephant oil"

then south-hemisphere,from the left to right

" Chu-Nyu Shite Kudasai"

Chu-Nyu means "pour",Shite Kudasai is polite saying"please do"

So,it is not difficult,just saying "please pour elephant oil"

Elephant oil was a genine oil for NISSAN's engine.

kats

post-3193-1415079326938_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the translation and information on "Elephant" being a brand of oil

I was just looking at the two oil caps that I have which are of the "Elephant" type. It seems that there are at least two varieties of "Elephant" cap.

One is made to be used with a Valve cover that has a completely flat mating surface. This cap has a place for an O-ring to be installed on it's lower sealing surface.

The other variety of "Elephant" cap is made for use with a Valve cover that has a groove in the valve cover for an O-ring to be seated, and the cap's sealing surface is completely flat.

I have not idea which was used first, or second, or if they were intermixed in usage.