IGNORED

Elephant oil cap

Victor Laury

What is up with this elephant oil cap. I see them on ebay, being touted as if they were they holy grail. What's the story on these? did they only come on a particular year? Or are they a non North American market item? I have one in my spare parts collection. Should I shine it up and put it on? Right now, I have one of the super-rare 710 caps on my car. It's neat. If you look at it up-side-down, it says "OIL" isn't that cool?LOL

I don't know a lot about this cap, but a 1971 Z that I had came with a Oil cap that had an elephant on it. I went to use it on a valve cover from a later engine that came with the regular "OIL" cap and discovered that it will screw onto the valve cover, BUT there is a slight difference in the valve covers.

The valve cover that is made to have the "OIL" cap uses an O-ring that is recessed into a groove on the valve cover to seal the cap to the cover.

The "ELEPHANT" cap uses an O-ring that fits onto the cap itself and the valve cover that came with this cap has a flat surface where this O-ring will contact the cover instead of the groove.

Not sure if this difference will cause any problems with sealing if you mix the covers and caps, but I ended up keeping the cap with the valve cover it was intended to be used with.

Note: The two O-rings are not the same diameter.

...and I don't believe that they are too "rare" as I have seen them on eBay frequently for at least the past year, often selling for not very much $.

Maybe mbrandy or 26thZ can tell us if the "ELEPHANT" oil cap came on their 1970 240Z's. I've had 72 and 73 Z"s that had the "OIL" style caps.

(My poor grammer corrected by EDIT this AM)

My car has a Nissan 2400 ohc valve cover and an OIL cap.

I have a couple of caps I purchased on ebay "bottom fishing" as I call it. I'll have to compare them and file a report. One has Japanese script around the outside of "OIL", the "Elephant" cap, and the "710" cap is peculiar to Australia, Victor. I read on Ebay, once, that the "Elephant" cap commemorates the East African Safari Rally. I also understand from Ebay research that there is an "India Elephant" cap as well as an "Africa Elephant" cap.

I don't think they are "rare" as I have several of both types in my parts bin. I have two types with elephants on them as shown in the picture. The one that says only 'OIL' on it I believe was an aftermarket replacement. (not shown)

post-3797-14150793116879_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by 26th-Z

..............the "Elephant" cap, and the "710" cap is peculiar to Australia,.................

My 71 Z wasn't an Ausssie car, and it came OEM with an Elephant cap.

I still have the engine out in the shed sitting on wood blocks, I'll have to go out there and see which of the two types of elephant cap pictured by sblake01 that I have. I think it is the one with japanese script around the edge but I'm not sure.

Originally posted by BambiKiller240

Maybe mbrandy or 26thZ can tell us if the "ELEPHANT" oil cap came on their 1970 240Z's. I've had 72 and 73 Z"s that had the "OIL" style caps.

I never really paid attention to this detail yet, but from my picture stock, I see that mine just says "oil".

post-4028-1415079311743_thumb.jpg