IGNORED

Parts Score!

mdbrandy

Originally posted by blitzkraig

ACK! What does that second knob do and where can I find one??? I've spent many times staring at that empty slot next to the choke knob wondering what the hell went there before!

Hi Craig:

As shown in the picture, the handle on the left is the standard choke lever, and the one on the right side is the "Hand Throttle" which was a very early form of Cruise Control which was cable operated. Only the earliest Z's in the USA came with the provision for it, and most of them did not actually have it installed when sold to consumers. My understanding is that is was highly frowned upon by the Feds (NTSB?) and was removed from most cars imported to the US before sale.

I have a hand throttle in my Zed. It was imported to NZ from Aussie. It is not connected and by no means will I re-connect it.

It must the the single most dangerous device ever put in the Zed (except for the wife after she finds out much this thing has cost me...er...us).

MDBrandy - your avatar shows some nice wheels...what are they?

VERY NICE -

This is living proof that the parts are out there, you just have to find them. The only problem is that the inexpensive reputation Datsun has enjoyed is no longer. Nice knobs!

Great looking hubcaps too. Now you just need to find those magic 175 SR14 tires!

I had a hand throttle on a 1967 Alfa Duetto and enjoyed it as a cruise control. It was a nice feature. All respect to the warnings! The Datsun lever is in the wrong place, in my opinion.

I had to get a throttle lever at least, even if I leave the cable unconnected at the pedal. I'd decide that later. The car has the hand throttle already, but no cable or lever handle. Now it will :classic: . The car will not be a daily driver, so we'll have to see whether it is more important to have it "right" than to have it "safe" :ermm: . Time will tell.

On the wheels, I am not sure. They came with the car and I've never looked over them closely to see if they have a manufacturer's marking or anything. Next time I have time to get out in the garage (it's been about 2 months since I've been out there now :cry: ), I'll try to remember to look.

My 70's era Porsches also have this. It is not meant for a cruise, but allows you to set a higher idle while the engine warms up. I have heard of people using them as a cruise control, but I believe that the Porsche spec is that it should cuase the engine to idle at 3500 rpms warm with no load. I doubt that would be much help as a cruise control.

Congrats on the find!

Bryan