IGNORED

Fuse Boxes

texasz

Originally posted by St.stephen

I do have you beat though. I pulled my car off the jackstands onto the floor of the garage this weekend using it as a crutch to pull myself up

Wow! Good thing you werent' under it! :dead: Where were you supporting it?

Afew words about the fuse box in 240s. If you are melting the parking or headlight fuses the first step is to replace the combo switch....trust me on this one. Age and corrosion in this switch leads to increased current draw wich melts the fuses. The original boxes can be rebuilt if done very carefully and can result in a much safer electrical system.

Ok, so if the "early" cars had the long pigtails, then how come my '71 Series I has the short ones on it? I even have the harness from a '71 Series II car (1 month newer than mine) that has the same short pigtails! Both were melted to some degree.

On the topic of switching dash harnesses, you would have to switch the entire harness for the car to use a '73 dash harness on an earlier car. I tried this once. The plugs are slightly different where they come out of the dash and hook up to the body harnesses. It could be made to work, yes, but it would take a little time.

texasz,

You can repair the fuse block. Do as Dtsnlvrs suggested and clean up the contacts in the switch. Then remove your fuse block from the car and carefully clean all the contacts in the plastic block. Then take some JB Weld and rebuild the melted area of the fuse block.

On mine, the plastic had melted so bad that the contacts were actually hanging in mid-air. A little JB Weld here and a little there, a few days to let everything setup real good, and I haven't had an issue yet in the last year and a half.

When rebuilding the fuse boxes...I remove the box...then use a very small drill bit and drill out all of the rivets holding the fuse clips in. Re-solder the clips to the contacts on the back of the fuse block (once you have it in you hand you will see what I am talking about.) For a severely melted box..ie clips hanging in air...I use two part "Double Bubble" epoxy to rebuild it. Also...clean and or replace ALL elec. contacts on the car.....results in much cooler fuse blocks

Here's a pic of mine that melted sometime before I bought the car. It is the third one down on the right side that melted (not sure what that is for).

The easiest thing would be for me to replace it with the one from my '73 parts car if I could then I could worry about rebuilding it later and not be rushed to complete it and take the chance of doing something wrong.

post-3356-14150793019051_thumb.jpg

HEY!!! That looks like you took a picture of my fuse block before I fixed it! Same big gaping hole! The JB Weld will work , but there is a trick to keeping it in place while it sets up:

Mix the stuff up and then let it sit for a bit before you put it in place. Let it get a little like a paste. Otherwise, you'll end up rolling the fuse block over from side to side to keep the stuff in place (it will want to flow out due to gravity) for the next few hours.

I did the same JB Weld fix for the melted plastic. I have a slightly different approach to the corrosion and poor electrical contact problems. You may notice quite a bit of corrosion where the wire lugs are riveted to the fuse box and where the fuses clip in too. I soaked mine in phosporic acid for a few minutes to remove the corrosion, rinsed in clear water several times, blow dry with compressed air, restake rivets. It held up for at least 8 years after that and may last longer. I just took it out of service and converted to the spade lug fuses.

I had a really hard time trying to solder the contacts on the back of my fuse block. There is a layer of some dielectric film over the metal that just made the solder bead up on the surface. I sanded it pretty well, but it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth (especially when another member gave me a good deal on a clean used fuse block) to clean out/flatten the back head on that rivet so it would hold on. My box was the short pigtail version.

I don't have a picture of my original block, but you can see what i'm talking about in the picture of the good one.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3997&size=big&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

My original block looked just like the picture TexasZ linked of his. I actually failed an inspection because of it! The parking lights wouldn't come on after I drove it to the inspection station (on the last day that the registration was still good!). Didn't figure out until I got home what the issue was. Seemed the combination of some corrosion and the loose joint (not held in tension by the plastic) caused the connection to be intermittent.