IGNORED

Wheel covers/Slotted Mags

Harry Frigg

Harry,

Are you looking for new "D" hubcaps? The last new ones I saw went for $150 each on eBay. And I assume they were new - just two of them. I think it is time to consider re-chrome as good condition hubcaps seem to be extremely rare.

Wheels like my aluminum slotted mags go for around $150 a set and are common. Nicely polished, they are stunning. Consider sending a set to a wheel recondition / repair shop.

post-4148-14150792947184_thumb.jpg

I've a set of the slotted mags (not much if any road rash, if I recall) that I plan to begin refinishing this winter.

If sent out, how much would one expect to pay? I understand that after I refinish them, they'll need to be frequently polished as the 'clear coat' is removed. Do the professional refinishers reapply clear coat?

Is it realistic for me to attempt to reapply on my own?

BTW: Where's the best source for the 'original' center caps that were used with the Z slotted Shelby mags?

Larry

I plan to send my wheels to a repair shop, but have not begun to find one. I typically see them advertised in automotive magazines. A friend of mine took a big chunk out of his treasured rim and it came back perfect. Wheel repair shops typically strip the wheel, repair it, align it, and refinish it. I would expect to pay $100 - $200 a wheel - about the price of a new set of rims. But they WILL be new.

Center caps vary from rim specie to rim specie. Carefully measure the diameter and look for a cap by size. Most simply press fit in.

• 4 weeks later...