Help getting engine started again after 9 years - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Help getting engine started again after 9 years

Featured Replies

This is a 1970 car, with an L24 that I think maybe was bought crated from Nissan, there are no numbers on the block where they should be stamped. Has the dual Hitachi domed carbs. "was running when parked".

here's what I've done so far:

Drain and drop fuel tank, interior looked really good. A PO had put some kind of yellowish sealant in there.

Replace all (soft) fuel lines. Blow out the hard lines.

Replace all hoses in the engine bay

Drain oil, replace with new oil and new oil filter.

Radiator was drained, just put regular water in today (thinking I'll do some flushing before putting in a mixture. )

Remove spark plugs, put a little oil in each cylinder.

Confirm oil pump is getting oil to the crankshaft.

Replace fuel filter

Put new NGK spark plugs in (gap: 0.030)

Put gas (E0) in. Car does not have an electrical pump, only the mechanical one up front.

Choke out. Cranked it a bit. No firing. Didn't see gas in the fuel filter. Tried to put some gas in there directly, but didn't have enough left over so it didn't get full.

Cranked once or twice more, no joy. Didn't want to do anything else, so stopped there. Didn't expect it to start, but hey, you never know...

What should next steps be? I haven't looked at the carbs. The only carburetor I've ever worked on was my snowblower. Not saying it's the carbs, I have no idea.

Check you've attached the fuel hoses thr right way round at the tank and check that you can suck fuel up to the engine bay filter.

If you can suck fuel to the engine bay but the fuel pump can't, you need a new fuel pump.

  • Author

So fuel is getting from mechanical pump to the carbs inlets. At least when connected to an external fuel can.

what’s not happening as a spark. I pulled a plug and reconnected and grounded it but no spark. The pos and negative coil terminals are both measuring about 12V with key in ON. I pulled the distributor cap and cleaned the contacts on the bit that revolves. Didn’t know what else to try. I read a couple threads here about no spark but not sure where to go from here.

IMG_1850.jpeg

IMG_1851.jpeg

IMG_1852.jpeg

Have you verified gap and dwell on the points? Have you measured voltage to ground at coil positive with someone else holding the key in START?

Also, you may want to check for voltage to ground at the blue arrow with the key in ON and check for resistance to ground at the red arrow (key off or on). The screw at the red arrow should be grounded.

image.png

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

The great thing about this hobby is all the opportunities to gain humility.

you know like if you spend a lot time trying to get an engine to fire when you have disconnected one of the little wires that connects to the distributor and you don’t notice and then can’t figure out why you are getting no voltage readings.

I don’t even know when I did that, probably 3 weeks ago when working on hoses.

it fired right up! First time in 9 years. Beautiful sound.

Thanks everyone!

now to work on flushing radiator…

Hey it happens to all of us. What’s worse is to have a buddy come by while you’re frustrated and say hey “Where does this go”!!😂

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.