Z's from China - Page 3 - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Z's from China

Featured Replies

I have watched some you tube videos about similar chassis, such a the FJ and the celica. The discrepancies and problems compared to factory chassis' were really bad and not insignificant

  • Author

I wonder what type of metal and metal treatment is used. Will these last one year in the rust belt? Will they flex, warp, and fatigue?

Could be one of those phenomena that lasts a few years until the reality reviews start rolling in.

  • Author

It's odd how much hype is out there about what they're doing but very little about actual part quality. They seem to be making a ton of parts but not much out there from anybody actually using them. Where are they all going?

Actually, I just remembered that they're probably going to places like Resurrected Classics. So, there has been some commentary about part quality there.

They do have some parts that are more functional, where fitment and durability will be more critical.

Stainless steel?

https://www.carbody.com/product/datsun-240z-parts/replacement-front-door-hinge-down-19691973-for-nissan-datsun-240z-stainless-steel-11535.html

image.png

  • Author

It is interesting though that the images are different. Is there another company out there doing sheet metal? Or is somebody just creating new images?

https://zcardepot.com/collections/sheet-metal/products/tail-light-panel-sheet-metal-rear-240z

image.png

https://www.carbody.com/product/datsun-240z-parts/replacement-tail-panel-for-nissan-datsun-240z.html

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

From my experience working with China, they'll use some cheap paper-thin metal made from a mixture of who-knows-what kind of alloys. They will brag about how they were able to copy the car and produce their own for such a cheap price. However, one slam of the door and the resulting noise says it all. I guess we will see.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that these body clones are aimed primarily at the (large) Chinese domestic market. I don't think they're terribly worried about how Z cognicenti react to the details of their work. As for using low-quality, paper-thin steel... isn't that what Nissan did?

Nevertheless, I don't think they'll be averse to selling job lots of panels to any non-Chinese parts vendor that think's they can make money from offering them to their customers as a (perhaps) cheaper alternative to their current suppliers' panels.

p.s. I think they're going to sell a lot more of their Land Rover (rhymes with 'rust bucket') clones than any of the other models they've tooled up.

9 hours ago, Namerow said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that these body clones are aimed primarily at the (large) Chinese domestic market.

Where would the componentry to build up a running, driving and fully functioning car come from in China?

There's no legacy of S30-series Z sales there, so no raw material to act as organ and/or identity donors.

Same goes for the AE86, Mustang, classic Mini and other bodyshells they have been knocking out. Everything I have seen about Juncheng Vehicle Co. says to me that they are totally focused on exporting their 'replica' classic bodyshells. The domestic Chinese market for such products is all but non-existent.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.