Need a FS5W71B transmission bell housing - (5 speed from Datsun 280Z (1977–1978) and Datsun 280ZX (1979–1983)) - Page 2 - Wanted - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content
Be cautious of scammers! If you are asked to send Zelle, Paypal, or even gift cards it is likely a scam. Be smart and talk on the phone and trade real photos. Check every profile and never do business with a member who joined less than 6 months ago.

Need a FS5W71B transmission bell housing - (5 speed from Datsun 280Z (1977–1978) and Datsun 280ZX (1979–1983))

Featured Replies

Chas is the Man!!

13 hours ago, inline6 said:

Interesting mod to grind the shift rod instead of relocating the reverse switch. I like that instead of moving the reverse switch location on the housing. Looks like I have all I need except for the front housing. I'll just need one of those, and to have it machined by someone. Thanks for the info.

I’ve seen photo's of F4W71B transmission cases where the reverse switch was fitted in the FS5W71B location. It can be done, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

The case is relatively thin in that area and lacks the additional reinforcement (the bulge) that the FS5W71B has. As a result, the switch sits deeper into the case (4 - 5mm), and there is also the risk of leaks.

Funny the 5 speed has the bulge where the 4 speed reverse switch would be.Screenshot_20260128_192341_Photos.jpg

F4W71B with reverse switch move to foreward position.

Screenshot_20260128_193155_Photos.jpg

The FS5W71B has a bulge for a switch in rearward position where the F4W71B reverse switch would be fitted. The F4W71B does not have the extra bulge.

Crossmember Mod - No Weld.png

Here is the No weld mod on the cross member. I have never seen it, only photos. Some one thinking out of the box. Very rigid fitment and and vibration will be more noticable.

Edited by EuroDat

  • Author
17 hours ago, Yarb said:

Chas is the Man!!

Yes, thanks Chaz!

Edited by inline6

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

I'll consider a junk 5 speed transmission at this point, if nearby to me in Marietta, GA. Got one with something broken inside? Just looking for 5 speeds for now. Will open up to 4 speeds later if I can't get a five speed.

Thanks for considering helping me out!

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I'm also in the many 4 speed style category.

Plus I am nowhere near GA. so shipping would be costly.

  • Author

I heard back from Junkyard Jenny's. They only have four speed ones at well.

If you still need a bell housing or a complete trans, contact me. I'm in North Myrtle Beacg SC and have what you need.

And don't forget that if you need to resort to a 4-speed bell housing, I have one just up the road from you. You just get stuck with the broken transmission attached to that bell housing. 😁

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.