IGNORED

EFI Fuel Tank Restoration

the_tool_man

During the latest round of EFI issues with my 77, with some help from @Patcon we isolated the fuel delivery problem to the fuel tank. I had cleaned and treated the tank for rust a few years ago. But that apparently didn't work. After dropping the tank I got a few cell phone photos of the inside for confirmation. Lots of rust. We suspected the primary issue is a rusted through pickup tube.

Fast forward to yesterday. I took it to a buddy who is a master with a cutoff wheel so he could help me cut it open.

20231223_171211.jpg

We cut just inside the factory weld on the flange, leaving plenty of material to weld it back together later. After getting it open, it's clear that I did the right thing. Everything is rusty. Even the brass screen inside the fuel baffle is corroded. I'm posting pics for anyone who wonders what these look like inside.

Bottom half from passenger side:

20231223_173411.jpg

Bottom half from driver side:

20231223_173345.jpg

Top half:

20231223_173319.jpg

Borescope photo of screen:

IMG_1670.jpg

The plan is to bead blast this clean and thoroughly coat it, leaving a strip for welding. Then I'll slosh more coating over the completed weld seam. More to come.

• Like 3

Now for some questions. 

What's the small tube sticking up out of the screen for? It's open at the end, and doesn't connect to anything.

20231224_123016.jpg

What's your favorite coating? In my case, I'll need something that can be brushed on, and later thinned enough to slosh inside the seam. So it has to be able to stick to itself as well as it sticks to steel.

What's the easiest way to remove the old tar-based undercoating from the outside of the tank? I'm thinking propane torch and a spatula. Is there a better way?

Edited by the_tool_man

One of the aspects for coating the tank are the complexities of the inside of the EFI tank. Inside the tall tank baffle is a small cylinder with a brass screen. It also has that thin line coming up towards the top of the tank.

I think John is thinking of coating the inside of the two halves of the tank with a brush to deal with all the complexities that probably won't coat all the way by sloshing sealant around.

That means what ever you use needs to adhere to the cured coating once the halves are rewelded and the belt area needs to be sealed as the last step.

• 1 month later...