IGNORED

Stereo tape in 280z (Clarion Radio Connector)

MH77280Z

19 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

1st gen had the antenna switch on the right side of the radio like the one pictured but they were AM radios.

Yeah.. and always Hitachi's..  I never saw a Clarion in that configuration with AM and FM and the antenna switch like that.  Oh well, MH77280z, congrat's with your buy!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/18/2023 at 1:54 AM, dutchzcarguy said:

Yeah.. and always Hitachi's..  I never saw a Clarion in that configuration with AM and FM and the antenna switch like that.  Oh well, MH77280z, congrat's with your buy!

Now I think for once we all should appreciate the 2+2 for bringing a Clarion AM/FM technology together 🤣

I dont have the female end of this connector under my dash. Seems like this is the only modification the previous owner made. Basically cut out the connector.

I could not locate the wiring diagram for the radio in the FSM. I am sure there are power and speaker wires all in this connector.

Any tips?

IMG_9104.jpg

14 hours ago, MH77280Z said:

we all should appreciate the 2+2

I always appreciated the 2+2 as a tall guy well over 6 feet i appreciate the rooooom... in the car!

2 hours ago, MH77280Z said:

I could not locate the wiring diagram for the radio in the FSM.

Are you sure? It should be in the chassis-service manual in the electronics section.. otherwise it should be somewhere on the internet i think.  I can't help you as i don't have a clarion of that type.  (The one with the fuse is the 12v+ i guess.. and with a ohm-meter you can find out the rest? 🙂)

OK, so my car has this connector still there with wires cut which you see connected in #5 in the pic.

This Calrion from the 76 280z 2+2 has a different connector!!!

I need to try my luck with the guy i bought the Radio from. May be he still has the parts car.

Radio.jpg

Luckily, I found that the connector from my original radio harness was complete (male/female). Cut the Clarion connector and tested with the original black radio connector and it works great. Radio lights up!!! Good reception even with no antenna extension.

I had to directly connect the speakers with the radio speaker wires as I have the 2 new Polk Audio speakers installed. I think this is a mono radio so planning to just connect the two speakers in parallel and call it a day.

Probably will buy a cheap FM broadcaster to send music to the radio ... but i dont listen to anything when driving it anyway.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Got to know… Where did you find the original connectors?  Needle in a Hay stack!!

For my 280z I found the connector still attached to the harness. The wires were just cut to accommodate the new stereo. So got a bit lucky three.

There seems to be few website which sell these as well, you have to Google but i did not search them properly.

• Agree 1

Data from various pages on here:

Blue is +12V power in. Hot when in ACC and ON.
Green/White is panel illumination high side. Goes to the headlight switch.
Red/Blue is panel illumination ground side. Goes to the rheostat.

The two wires (White and White/Black) from the radio are for speakers. I am planning to add a small AMP in front as the max volume is a bit on the low side output.

Using external black cable to ground the radio to the chassis.

Next i need to tackle the aftermarket antenna. It only has two wires as compared to the OEM (going for $1K+ on ebay). My aftermarket just extends fully when energized.

IMG_9142.jpg

IMG_9141.jpg

• MH77280Z changed the title to Stereo tape in 280z (Clarion Radio Connector)