IGNORED

hood/headlight bucket alignment

emccallum

I have been looking a several cars that sold online, including the 21k mile $300k on BAT. I am noticing that the hood is slightly elevated compared to the headlight on almost every car. I am putting on my body panels and having the same issue, although mine is a bit more pronounced. Maybe its normal to not be even? 

Here is an example from a BAT car that just sold:

Screenshot 2023-09-19 143652.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

This.

If your hinges are kind of worn, pushing down on the front of the hood while tightening is the only way to fix that problem.

I think that may be part of the problem. I can push down on the hood and the tension rods push it back up. Not enough adjustment on the mounting bolts to to compensate. I will have to look more closely to see if I can work around it. 

I had the same issue. One side was acceptable, maybe 1/4 inch proud. The other side was like 3/4 inch proud. Hinges were not worn and had very little slop, and I was maxed out on the adjustment holes. I tried everything.

I noticed that without the tension rods installed, it sat perfect, so I opted to just leave the tension rods out and use a wooden hood prop when I’m tooling around in there.

Not sure if you’re willing to do that, but it worked for me and seemed to be a better solution than elongating the hinge mounting holes, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emccallum said:

I think that may be part of the problem. I can push down on the hood and the tension rods push it back up. Not enough adjustment on the mounting bolts to to compensate. I will have to look more closely to see if I can work around it. 

I had one 240 where I had to dremel out the adjustment holes on the hinges so they would sit low enough when being tightened down.

If I remember right, the hinges really need to rotate a little bit not just go straight down. I do agree though, loosen them slightly have someone force the hood down as far as it'll go .  Extra if you have it and tighten them up while reaching through the grill opening

• Like 4