IGNORED

What is wrong with this picture?

grannyknot

One of the jobs to be done on this car is get the parking hand brake working, I got under the car but something didn't look right, took off the drum and it all became clear.

Not only was everything upside down, everything was switched side to side.  In order to fix it both struts had to come out, press out the axle hub (new nuts required) and switch the backing plates.

IMG_2257.JPG

IMG_2258.JPG

• Wow 4

7 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Why didn't you just switch the struts to the other side?   :ph34r:

Wow. Pistons? Really? I'm assuming that was not done by the current owner, right? You're not outing him here on the forum are you?

This is one of those cars that has been through many different jobbers, rust guy, body/paint guy, mechanical guy over the course of 5-10 yrs and in each case the owner paid for and thought  good work was being done.

That's the problem with a long term project like this, there was no project manager to oversee all jobs and keep track of quality control and continuity.  The owner is a busy guy,

All I'm doing is going through every system to make sure at a minimum, it is safe and reliable.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 3:12 AM, grannyknot said:

One of the jobs to be done on this car is get the parking hand brake working, I got under the car but something didn't look right, took off the drum and it all became clear.

Not only was everything upside down, everything was switched side to side.  In order to fix it both struts had to come out, press out the axle hub (new nuts required) and switch the backing plates.

What a complete pain to fix.  When I opened the email, I went straight to the picture without reading your findings.  My first thought was "wait, what?  How is that even possible?"  It was only after reading the post that I saw that the backing plates were on the wrong sides as well as upside down.  After removing everything from mine to do new bearings and a disc brake swap, I know how much work it was for you to put it all back the right way.  I probably would have had many choice words before I calmed down enough to tear it apart.

After your other discoveries, I would have serious trust issues with every single component on the car.  Hopefully they didn't open up the transmission or differential.

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

What a complete pain to fix.  When I opened the email, I went straight to the picture without reading your findings.  My first thought was "wait, what?  How is that even possible?"  It was only after reading the post that I saw that the backing plates were on the wrong sides as well as upside down.  After removing everything from mine to do new bearings and a disc brake swap, I know how much work it was for you to put it all back the right way.  I probably would have had many choice words before I calmed down enough to tear it apart.

After your other discoveries, I would have serious trust issues with every single component on the car.  Hopefully they didn't open up the transmission or differential.

I hear you.  What is amazing is that the rear brakes actually work like that, the parking brake doesn't but the rest does.  I haven't got to the electrical system yet🥴 I can't wait.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1