IGNORED

Tail Light Panel Paint Question

Richie G

I've been working on a few things lately and recently pulled and repainted the tail light panel.  Got the paint from California Datsun which supposedly is the closest to original but I'm wondering about the glossiness.  The color seems right to me, but its awfully glossy.  Was it this glossy when new?

I could have done a better job honestly but many of the small ripples you may see didn't seem to show up until the gloss shined in the light.  If this paint was matt or flat may not even notice them but with all this shine you can see even hairline imperfections.  Debating if I pull it and try again once I get through more important things.

image.jpeg

It sounds like you are satisfied with the color, just not the gloss. I agree - way more glossy than OE. Try this: Dupli-Color HWP106 Wheel Matte Clearcoat. That will get you back to a OE-like finish. These are done with a different product for the color, topped with the Wheel Matte Clearcoat.

Panels 01.jpg

100_4627.JPG

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/3/2023 at 11:42 AM, jfa.series1 said:

Thanks. The base/color coat is Dupli-Color BFM0360 Dark Shadow Gray - a Ford color. Credit for the research and development of this process goes to our very own member @CanTechZ and I have used it on several sets of panels, including the ones on my car. The pics I included are part of a set currently posted in the Classifieds if you want to see more images.

100_4267.JPG

Thanks for posting this info - I'm in the process of reworking my 75 tail panels, so I bought the paint you have recommended. Mine are only primed at this point, and also need a crack repair, I just noticed...

PXL_20231022_205202496.jpg

Have to redo the 'chrome' as well - mine had a bunch of wrinkles 

PXL_20231022_205159761.jpg

The best paint option I've found is different than what the general consensus uses. Bottom line? Rust-Oleum 261413 Metallic Carbon Mist.  Top coat with Krylon Colormax 53530 Flat Clear.

Bunch of detail here:

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/67836-rear-tail-light-panels/#comment-645395

I know I'm swimming upstream against the other recommendations for the BFM0360 Ford Dark Shadow Gray, but if you're willing to entertain other options, I recommend the Metallic Carbon Mist.

I also like the flat top carbs.   ROFL

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Haha 1