IGNORED

Dave W 1971/240Z rebuild

grannyknot

34 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Maybe a refrigerator hose went through the grommets?

That thought crossed my mind, but I don't remember pulling the hose through it when I removed the AC equipment. I don't think the hoses came forward from the rad. I don't know any of the car's history pre-1994, other than it came from Georgia, so I have no idea when various modifications were made. I doubt the dealer removed the smog pump and installed the air conditioner in its place, so it seems likely that it was modified later in its life. If I find some time, I might do some looking around BAT for pictures of the area to see if I can find any other cars with similar grommets. Maybe one of them still has something passing through them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My '72 has those wires going over the top of the holes which brings it about 2 inches farther away from the road, there's a pretty wide gap between the chin spoiler and the front clip. The curiosity was killing me! LOL

Did you have enough grommets for the rear panel the fuel vents go through to the emissions tank?

Edited by siteunseen

4 hours ago, siteunseen said:

My '72 has those wires going over the top of the holes which brings it about 2 inches farther away from the road, there's a pretty wide gap between the chin spoiler and the front clip. The curiosity was killing me! LOL

Did you have enough grommets for the rear panel the fuel vents go through to the emissions tank?

Yeah, they all have the original rubber grommets, I never removed them.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 6:23 PM, siteunseen said:

Alcatraz Swimming Team 

ROFL

I sure do like my #918. It's like the #110 I had for awhile, the lighting is the main determination, red, orange?

The guy in the Alcatraz shirt was my best friend growing up. He was a very funny guy.

I've been an admirer of the pictures of your car in your signature! Thanks for sending a few more. Great colour! Nice car! I think a lot of the early Z colours had different looks in different lighting. For some reason, I find the Safari Gold looks great under artificial light at night. Strange.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dave stopped by yesterday and dropped off the new carpets and mats, these were purchased direct from the manufacture.  More detail than I thought there would be, I haven't tried them out in the car yet, want to let them relax for a few days first.  The under pad is nice and thick.

The mats are quite nice.

DSC00014.JPGDSC00009.JPGDSC00007.JPGDSC00008.JPGDSC00010.JPGDSC00011.JPGDSC00012.JPGDSC00013.JPG

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Dave stopped by yesterday and dropped off the new carpets and mats, these were purchased direct from the manufacture.  More detail than I thought there would be, I haven't tried them out in the car yet, want to let them relax for a few days first.  The under pad is nice and thick.

The mats are quite nice.

DSC00014.JPGDSC00009.JPGDSC00007.JPGDSC00008.JPGDSC00010.JPGDSC00011.JPGDSC00012.JPGDSC00013.JPG

They'll relax alright, anxious to lay down too like me LOL You have some Alabama air in your shop now! That place is about 30 minute drive from my house, Anniston, Alabama. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Have you done the hatch inner weatherstrip yet? I need my tutorial 😁

The weatherstrip kit continues to be elusive (my first order, via Datsun Garage was last July). Today was the day MSA told me they'd be receiving kits. I spoke to Precision, who supplies them, and they told me that they'd be shipping MSA half the number they'd ordered. MSA then told me I was in the "upper middle" of their orders, so they thought I should be OK. I asked them again today and they told me that they received enough kits to fulfill orders they'd received "before the end of January". The wording made it sound like I wouldn't be getting one of the kits (next ones forecast for April 23rd), but my order was placed on January 30th, so I've asked for clarification. At this point they're very aware that it's the part holding up completion (and apparently tutorial development)!

• Thanks 1