IGNORED

Dave W 1971/240Z rebuild

grannyknot

7 hours ago, Patcon said:

Granny,

Can you elaborate on your hatch weatherstrip process, where you start, adhesive, temporary holding, etc?

Sure, I only have the hatch outer seals at the moment, still waiting on the main seal and glass seal. The outer seals are straight forward but it is much easier to do the top portion when the hatch is off the car, those I tape in place for a day or so until they have relaxed then use 3M weatherstrip adhesive to attach.

The main seal can be a real bugger because it pulls so much, so I do that in 2 steps now.  Tape it in place as best I can, it never wants to cooperate, then the next day only attach the top most section, the 2 top corners and down the sides about halfway, that's it. Clamp it down into place with C clamps and let it cure completely.

Then the next day I do the rest of the seal, the few times I tried to do the whole seal at once it always pulled off the corners. If you have the luxury of time it works well.

IMG_2950.JPG

• Like 1

I finished up the quarter windows today, they have altered the inner seal design from the original, they have added these little fins in the back corner. At first glance I thought it was a nice addition but I could not get the frame even close to fitting properly, eventually I had to just cut them off so the seal looked like the original and the frame fit properly.

Anyone else run into this?

IMG_2958.JPG

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

• Like 1

I did run into that recently.  My seals were OEM, and sourced by the previous owner of the car back in the early 90's.  I was hesitant to cut them off, so I just dealt with them, but they were troublesome to deal with.  Ultimately, they just sort of, pushed outwards where the frame sat against them, but didn't stop anything from fitting properly - for me.

IMG_20240115_121546.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 4:52 PM, grannyknot said:

This is the only effective way I've found to install the T/C rods, come to think of it, I might have picked it up from someone here.

Sorry to be circling back to an earlier page in the thread.  In your photo, how is the ratchet strap anchored where it disappears out of sight underneath the car?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Namerow said:

Sorry to be circling back to an earlier page in the thread.  In your photo, how is the ratchet strap anchored where it disappears out of sight underneath the car?

That's okay, the strap is going around the inside T/C housing, there is enough room to hold it.

I pulled out the windshield from storage the other day and cleaned it up to see what kind of condition it is in, not so good.  I counted about 20 pits, a couple of scrapes from the wipers and general sand blasting from hwy driving. Fortunately, I have a friend that has a couple of new windshields squirrelled away in his attic and he let me have one at a very reasonable price. It does have the blue tint stripe at the top but I don't think there's any way to get around that anymore.

I'll post some pics when the server error gets sorted out.

IMG_2969.JPG

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 1

The new windshield is ready to go in, a box of parts showed up yesterday so I got the new alternator in, steering rack boots, slave cylinder and wheel cylinders in and bled.  Finished of the vinyl install and just waiting for the exhaust system to show up so I can get it back down onto the ground.

IMG_2975.JPGIMG_2983.JPGIMG_2984.JPG

There always seems to be a few things left over and these are them, the 2 rubber grommets aren't for the drain hoses but not sure what they are for.

IMG_2986.JPG

3 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

There always seems to be a few things left over and these are them, the 2 rubber grommets aren't for the drain hoses but not sure what they are for.

IMG_2986.JPG

That plate with the hole in it is a spacer that goes between the transmission metal mount and the transmission isolator mount. 

Those grommets look like aftermarket.  Might be suitable for the heater supply and return hoses where they go through the firewall. 

• Thanks 1