IGNORED

Alternator overcharging

chaseincats

55 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Thanks for the post haircut pic. Much better.

So as for the test... Yes, the "T" connector is involved.

When the problem is occurring and the alternator voltage is too high, try sticking a wire in the back of the "T" connector at the W/R wire and connect the other end of that wire to the other W/R at the BATT connection. Here's a pic of the back of my alternator. Jumepr the two W/R red wires together like this:
sense test.JPG

By 'jumper' you mean take an ohm measurement with a multimeter, not stick a wire between the two, right?  (please say ohm measurement)

9 hours ago, chaseincats said:

By 'jumper' you mean take an ohm measurement with a multimeter, not stick a wire between the two, right?  (please say ohm measurement)

I meant stick a short piece of wire between the two shorting them together. They are already supposed to be connected hard together inside the wiring harness. One of the working theories is that connection inside the harness has become questionable.

If you're not comfortable just trusting some guy on the internet who says "Naaah. It'll be fine. Just short that junk together." I totally get it.  LOL   Next time the problem comes up, just start by taking the voltage measurements from each of those wires to the alternator case. We'll go from there.

Actually, the first thing you should do the next time the problem starts is to wiggle that "T" connector around on the back of the alternator and see if wiggling does anything. Then take the two voltage readings of the two W/R to case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

I meant stick a short piece of wire between the two shorting them together. They are already supposed to be connected hard together inside the wiring harness. One of the working theories is that connection inside the harness has become questionable.

If you're not comfortable just trusting some guy on the internet who says "Naaah. It'll be fine. Just short that junk together." I totally get it.  LOL   Next time the problem comes up, just start by taking the voltage measurements from each of those wires to the alternator case. We'll go from there.

Actually, the first thing you should do the next time the problem starts is to wiggle that "T" connector around on the back of the alternator and see if wiggling does anything. Then take the two voltage readings of the two W/R to case.

Haha sounds good, I'll wiggle away!

• 3 months later...
On 7/4/2023 at 8:44 PM, Captain Obvious said:

I completely forgot to update you on this, sorry about that.  Wiggling it worked and I haven't had an issue since.  What a waste of time changing all those alternators out ended up being lol.

Thanks Captain