IGNORED

Hatch hinge seals

fusion

How important are the hatch hinge seals?  They aren't cheap.  Without them, does water get up into the roof pocket?  Trying to determine if I really need them or not.  I have a 76 280z.

Hatch__01130__99365.jpg

Edited by fusion

I think not to important as the 280zx has none.. But then again, it's a different car..  I thought about this and i would use some rubber from for example a car inner tire or some other flexible rubber that is about a mm thick. 

Some inner tire from a mountain bike.. get it for free at the bike store! (ask for a leaky one)  Maybe you can make something out of them with some (black)rubber glue? Don't need to look beautiful! It's just a sock for the hinge! 👍

If you can be sure your car will NEVER, EVER get wet for any reason such as rain, car wash, or other situation, you can consider going without these boots. You are correct - they prevent water from getting into the hinge pocket in the roof section. Once water is in there you can be sure the rust worms will be hard at work! When replacing the boots, it is important to retain the metal plates that fit between the boot and the hinge. The plates prevent the boot from being distorted when the hinge bolts are tightened. The plates are NOT a separate P/N, they came to Nissan from the OE boot mfr. as part of an assembly. The plates are not offered by the companies now making the repro boots, must be reused from the owner's car or obtained from a donor vehicle.

Hinge Boot Plate.JPG

• Like 2

From what I've read they figured another, way maybe better design weather stripping? Seems like they quit using them about the same time as the smaller spare tire and larger fuel tank, raised hatched floor and I believe they added anothet hatch lifting strut rod. Not sure on anything but my 9/76 doesn't have them but has the other stuff I mentioned. 

These cars are like adopted pound dogs. There's a lot of uncertainty that makes them special.

1 hour ago, fusion said:

Thanks.  Any way you have more photos or even better dimensions of those extra brackets?  I think those will be impossible to find.  I'll probably have to fabricate them myself.

Sorry, no other pics or dimensions. These plates were sold several years ago. They are a thin material, should be pretty easy to fab up.