IGNORED

New gas wont start

Wally

OK, i put in a new fuel pump with spacer and gaskets. I hooked up hoses and tried to start. It still wont. It cranks and turns over good just seems like not getting gas.

I unhooked top part of fuel filter that goes to pump and put the hose in a small bottle with gas. Still would not start. unhooked hose to pump and did not look like it was pulling any gas at all.

If fuel rails got "clogged" would this stop pump from pulling?

Edited by Wally

17 minutes ago, Wally said:

eek. i did not. To be honest...i am not sure how to. i will try to find a source and read up on it

One way is to take off the fuel hose from the outlet of the fuel filter and spray carb cleaner into that hose toward the fuel pump.

Also, make sure there is fuel in the float bowls of the carburetors.

Edited by SteveJ

25 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

One way is to take off the fuel hose from the outlet of the fuel filter and spray carb cleaner into that hose toward the fuel pump.

Also, make sure there is fuel in the float bowls of the carburetors.

I put some fuel in the bowls. Then sprayed in hose you said. It fired up great. It ran for a sec or two and cut off again. 

Should i keep repeating this or it pump now primed and just keep turning engine over until pump pulls from tank up to front

If you don't see fuel in the filter, the pump isn't primed. The thing about cranking the engine to pull fuel is that you'll drain the battery faster.

You can repeat a few times. As I mentioned before, you can use a hand-held vacuum pump to pull fuel to the filter. If the mechanical pump isn't pulling, you'll know because the car will die if it's not pumping fuel.

I filled the bowls again. It ran a while this time but did die again. No fuel in filter still.

I have a manual bulb type pump like in image.

If i connect like i did in image would this work as a vacuum pump? maybe i need to block off hose end i have on fuel pump and just leave other side until fuel gets in filter

IMG_4819.jpg

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

First, I can't see what hose goes where.

Second, don't waste time. Go out and get a hand-held vacuum pump. It can help you with bleeding the brakes and clutch in the future.

got the only pump walmart had but it did worked. Fuel is now up to fuel filter area.

I put more gas in bowls.

Car Started right up. ran for a minute or two fine then died. used up the fuel in bowls and wont start again. Seems like fuel is simply not making it and somewhere from fuel filter to carbs is being stopped. 

7 minutes ago, Wally said:

got the only pump walmart had but it did worked. Fuel is now up to fuel filter area.

I put more gas in bowls.

Car Started right up. ran for a minute or two fine then died. used up the fuel in bowls and wont start again. Seems like fuel is simply not making it and somewhere from fuel filter to carbs is being stopped. 

Odds are it's your fuel pump. If it has a bad check valve, it will never pump adequately.

3 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Odds are it's your fuel pump. If it has a bad check valve, it will never pump adequately.

OK. Thank you. It all seems odd to me at least. I am driving around, no issue... then car dies. i replaced fuel pump and still has an issue. 

I do remember going through 3 new alternators though before one finally worked....maybe these pumps are also prone to not working out

of the box

I am thinking about testing the fuel rails to see if air will pass without obstruction...maybe that is wrong thinking though